Restaurant bans screaming kids?

(copied from other section)

While driving in the car this morning, the radio station I was listening to was taking callers, asking for their opinion on a Carolina Beach, NC restaurant owner putting up signs reading "Screaming children will not be tolerated". Opinions ranged from "That's great! They should do that everywhere!" to "Parents can't help what their children do."

What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think it's awesome! A restaurant is a place of business, not a mad house. They need to be able to cater to the needs of the majority of their clients in order to make the best profit... A screaming child does not belong in a restaurant... Get it ToGo and deal with your kid don't make the rest of the customers suffer!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• clapping

Good! People deserve to be able to go out and not have a kid screaming next to them as they eat the food they shell out their money for. Woot! Woot! Either control your kid or leave.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree. I can understand a baby or toddler getting restless and starting to fuss about being stuck in a high chair or seat for so long but parents should know that if they want to take their kids to a restaurant then they need to be prepared to leave if they start screaming and fussing. If your kid always gets rowdy when out it's best to leave them at home with a sitter.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• well if MY children start screaming and acting out, i'll leave but my 4 y/o knows better and my son will too
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'd agree, but only if they ban loud talking people, people who chew with their mouth open and cellphones too. Because those are my pet peeves.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think the people who will be offended are the ones who would let their kid scream for 20 minutes. If your kids are screaming you need to take them outside - no exceptions! I think this is a perfectly acceptable restaurant rule, especially if it's a nicer place where part of the meal is the experience of being there.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• While I understand not wanting to have a kid screaming in your ear while you cut into a steak, I do find it disturbing that someone would post something like that. Kids are kids....Why don't they just flat out say it, and put on the door, "Adults only, this restraunt for date night only!"
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 10:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Having been a server... i love this. I could not believe the number of people that would allow their child to scream and throw a fit in a restaraunt. Worse are the people that let their kids run around like it is Romper Room. A restaraunt is a dangerous place with hot food, heavy trays/plates, swining doors, glass and knives. Then you have to watch where you step to avoid stepping on an unattended child. Oh.. and the parents would have a fit if you tripped over their precious angel and dropped a tray of hot food all over them.

Parenting starts at home. If you cannot make your children behave at the dinner table they are not going to be able to do in in public with tons of distractions. If you aren't going to bother to teach your kids table manners at home, then please don't take them to a restaurant where EVERYONE has to suffer.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I saw a sign in a restaurant that said "we don't mind your kids, as long as you do" I loved this. As someone who waitressed for years I can definitely tell you that while I was raised to be polite and calm in restaurants, some parents let their kids run around the restaurant screaming and knocking things over. It's extremely disruptive and dangerous! And I'm not talking about babies or very young children who should just be taken outside if they are crying/screaming. I think a sign like the one I saw is a nicer way to put your point across than just "no screaming kids allowed"
    Chloeek86

Answer by Chloeek86 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have no problem with it, if my DS starts acting up, we go outside till he can behave, I expect the same from other parents
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2010