38 weeks tomorrow felt pop with small gush . . . .

ok I am 38 weeks tomorrow I felt a pop and a small gush of what I'm hoping is my water breaking but it stopped I have layed down stood up walked etc. but nothing else has came out should I call my dr ? or just wait and see ? I'm having smallish contractions but have been having them for a weeks or so 6-7 min.s apart the same as they have been I don't wanna call and be annoying but i don't wanna wait and be late you know ? I was induced with both of my girls so I don't know whats goin on lol

msh88

Asked by msh88 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i would just wait and see. some drs will want you to come in right away to "check" but that invites a cascade of interventions that can be risky. jmho

http://doulamomma.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/when-your-water-breaks-before-labor-begins/

When Your Water Breaks Before Labor Begins

It is NOT an emergency!!! It does not mean the baby is about to slide out onto the floor in the middle of Target or that you have to call an ambulance so you can get to the hospital ASAP. This is Hollywood and cultural fear of birth and you are actually putting yourself at higher risk for infection by running straight to the hospital.

When the water breaks before the onset of labor this is called premature rupture of membranes (PROM). PROM occurs in 8-10% of term (37 weeks+) pregnancies. Of those, 90% will begin labor within 48 hours. Unless you or your baby is in some kind of danger or you are showing signs of infection, there is no reason ..
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• spread a towel on the bed, grab a hand mirror, lay back on the pillows, and cough. Got a gush? Your water's broken.

The baby's head often acts like a stopper after the water breaks. BTW, you should call anyway just to get checked.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:59 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• So, what do you do if your water breaks and you are not having contractions? First, check the color. If it is clear it is normal. If it is yellowish to dark brown or green, it could be meconium and you may want to call your care provider. Otherwise, wait. Like I said previously, 90% will begin labor in 48 hours. Don’t put anything into the vagina, don’t check your own cervix, don’t have sex.

:)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Stefanie83 has it right. I wouldn't go in unless your contractions are really going, just don't put anything in there. Avoid exams unless you feel the urge to push. Infection is really dangerous, and you'll be in the hospital with a newborn at home (this just happened to a friend of mine this week, actually). Another normal color is pink, because as your cervix dilates, it can bleed. Over time, it may go from clear to pink. It will also have a sweet smell (if you're willing to take a whiff).
    Put on a pad and take a look and a sniff and see what's up.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• your OBGYN won't see it as annoying. they know you only ask because you're concerned. call and see what he/she says.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 10:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Call your doctor it's better to be safe than sorry ;)
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'd call your doctor just to be safe.
    AMZF812

Answer by AMZF812 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The small gush doesn't sound like your water, but I could be wrong. When it's a trickle, it will be like you're peeing uncontrollably. If you've been sitting for awhile (or laying down) and then you stand up, you'll get a big gush.
    That said, it's worth calling your doc just to be sure. He/she may want you to come in just in case. They will test what's coming out with a pH strip to see if it's amniotic fluid.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• to speed up this process. Many mainstream pregnancy books and most OB’s will tell you to go straight to the hospital and what we see in movies confirms that but you actually increase your risk of infection by doing that because the first thing that happens when you arrive is usually a vaginal exam. Interestingly enough, the recommendations are to avoid digital (finger) vaginal exams but anyone who has had a hospital birth knows that this is the first thing that happens upon admission.

Vaginal exams push bacteria up past the cervix. Fluids in the vagina flow downstream and the only way they will back track is if they are pushed back. In a hospital setting it is not uncommon to have a vaginal check hourly or even more frequently and by several different people. Every time a vaginal exam is performed the infection risk is increased. It simply is not a beneficial procedure contrary to popular belief in our society...
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Another problem with going straight to the hospital when the water breaks is that hospital policy often puts time limits on the labor. Because of the increased risk of infection due to multiple vaginal exams, many hospitals will either being speeding up labor immediately with pitocin. Some hospitals will give the mom 12 hours for labor to spontaneously begin and a few will give the mom 24 hours. Some doctors even begin the c section scare tactics immediately. The problem with this is that creates performance pressure and if the mom is unable to relax, often times labor will not begin or it will stall. Once these interventions begin, the risk of infection increases and the risk of c section increases dramatically.
    ...
    Stefanie83