pits

why do people that aren't educated think that pits are all violant and pick on the whole breed and not that individual dog itself? I know it all has to do on how they are raised because my pit she is 2 1/2 now and she is the sweetest little thing. she will act as though she is going to bite someone's head off when someone knocks at the door but when the door opens she jumps on them and says pet me...lol. i think it is stupid for thing like this. if i were to pick on a breed i would say chihuahas are the state of bad breeds, but i am not since it all has to do with the owner. can someone explain this ignorance to me?

meliscool72

Asked by meliscool72 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Pets

• I would trust most pit bulls ~ even those raised by idiots ~ than I do most humans. Dogs are dogs, and they act instinctively, even when training fails of is absent. Humans are frequently just mean/vicious because they feel like it. As for dogs I do NOT trust, all smaller breeds, partucularly terriers, and cockers are about the worst when it comes to biting ~ but I'd never say no one should own them. All dogs will bite if provoked or injured/in pain (kudos to some for knowing this).

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• This was a good article = http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2863/are-pit-bulls-really-all-that-dangerous

I get what you are saying, it really is on the owners. I think a large part of the problem is that people specifically buy pits because they think they are vicious and "bad-ass." Not only do they not likely not know how to train them, but they also encourage such behavior.

SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:15 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• They are a muscular breed, and have tremendous jaw power. If one does attack a person, it's usually worse than when other breeds do. I agree that there are wonderful pits out there, but unfortunately there are a lot of bad owners and breeders. I don't think that people's beliefs about pits are ignorance, I think it's more not willing to take the chance on a breed that is known for bad breeding (breeding in aggressive traits).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I will never own a pit not because of their reputation but because they are unpredictable and because of their size and strength they can kill.

I also agree that small dogs can be worse at bitting because quite frankly, they are but they also dont kill people.

I blame it mostly on the owner, for dogs of all size and shape.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The problem is when these dogs are trained to fight that's all they know. WHen they get out and attack someone, it's viscous. They can and have killed people. I have a lab/ pit mix. Several of my family member bawked at the thought of him. I will compare my dog to any dog around. He's loving, sweet, and would never bite someone unprovoked. (I believe any dog can bite if pushed far enough) The one aunt who was so against him has never had a dog that did NOT bite. They have a cockapoo now that bites.

The point of my diatribe is it's training not nature.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 12:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I grew up around pits...Most of the time it is how they are trained..but every once in a while, they are just crazy mean without being prevoked or trained...But any dog can be that way...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Most likely because when PBs do attack, they are more likely to inflict greater damage. Personally, I do not trust any dog that I do not know- Yes, I was badly bitten (from behind) by a German Shepard-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I believe pits have the ability to be very sweet, loving, and very loyal dogs to their owners. There are a lot of misconceptions about pitbulls. A dog is a dog...how it's raise and temperment can cause a dog to attack someone, but the difference between a pitbull and say...a cocker spaniel,..is that they are very very strong, and they have very WIDE mouths which allow for a bigger bite. Their ABILITY to harm is greater than a lot of other dogs, and therefore they are feared more. I had a pit and I loved her very much, and I trusted her not to bite more than i trust my grandmothers teacup poodle, however if she WAS to bite,..it obviously would have been much much more detrimental.
    CrnchyMamaCraig

Answer by CrnchyMamaCraig at 3:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I know someone that had two pits, one was a sweetheart, and the other was insane....she bit down on a door handle and squashed into a tiny little thing, you couldn't wear hats around her or she would bite you...she was literally nuts, they finally decided to put her down when she turned on them..
    Thank goodness, because they have a child now, and it would have been terrible if she ever did anything to her
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Because of what you just said. They are not educated. They choose to blindly follow the media stories and refuse to actually open their pretty little eyes and learn. Because people who are uneducated own the dogs and have no idea what to do with them. They don't train them, or socialize them. They are used to guard drugs, fight or as a status symbol.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 6:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010