have you ever traveled and driven all the way there yourself?

i traveled the other day for the first time ever i drove 4 hours straight to my destination following a friend of mine, but i was so nervous because usually on road trips i don't drive at all or at the most i drive an hour and a half.

have any of you traveled more than you thought you would have?

meliscool72

Asked by meliscool72 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Travel

• DH is in the military and when he was in tech school they didn't pay for me to move with him so i would drive and follow him to wherever he was going. when he was in basic training i drove from Oregon to Austin tx to stay with his grandmother until he graduated. Then he went to biloxi.MS for 13 weeks, i took the bus the first two times i went to visit but that was gross and i decided to just drive. That is 10 hours one way. I would leave on a friday morning early then come back monday mornign early. Then he went to Shepard AFB in Wichita Falls, tx that was a 4 hour drive until i found a place to live i drove twice back and forth to visit. Then when he was finally done with tech school we both drove our own cars to Florida where we are now that was about 16 hours. You get used to it if you have to. We are going to be moving to washington state in april and will be driving with our almost two year old by then..that's 4 day trip.
    airforcewife603

Answer by airforcewife603 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Back in college... parents back to school 16 hours - usually left about 4 am
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 11:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• When I lived in MN, every spring break and Thanksgiving, I'd drive myself and my twin boys all the way to OK to be with my daddy. It was about a 900 mile trip. I always did it straight through, too. I really surprised myself the 1st time I did it. I usually fall right to sleep when someone else is driving. But, surprisingly, I did just fine driving on my own.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've driven an hour away to somewhere, but never long distances. I'm not sure I could, I think I'd panic, LOL. I'm going to be driving an hour to my in-laws tomorrow (w/ my son). DH is going there later today because he's doing a project for them, but I have to wait because our son has school tomorrow. It will actually be my first time since we've been together that I've driven there myself. I mean it's not that big of a deal of course.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yep

1930 miles one way and returning back another 1930 miles. I would drive for 10 hours and stop for hotel use. I did that for 3 days.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've always enjoyed long road trips. My longest one was 4 days. Traveling back to TX from Washington state. Dh was driving the U-Haul, my second son and I traded off driving our pov. Driving to WA back in '08, I drove the whole way. Made it in 3 days. Got up in the morning, was on the road by no later than 9:30 am, drove til I couldn't keep my eyes open, usually around 1 am. Hit the sack by no later than 2 am. Kids played music, we sang along... Stopping every two hours to allow our muscles to stretch... Things that kept me awake: beautiful scenery, Coca-cola, and the one snack that we all had to have: sunflower seeds! I started my long road trips by myself back when I was 20. I drove with our firstborn son when he was only 11 months from KS to MI. Went to visit the in-laws when DH was stationed in Germany in '90. Now with our youngest turned 17, we'll have more drivers to help share the load!
    ShellyBlueStars

Answer by ShellyBlueStars at 11:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes - this summer I drove from SC to FL (took about 10 hours to get there).. I had my friend and my DS1 with me... but I did ALL of the driving.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've driven all over by myself, I used to have to for work. (I was in sales, had to visit my clients). I've been through Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan, it's really not a big deal to me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've driven myself all over the country. I find it exciting.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've driven all over. The first time I drove a long distance was from Arkansas to Pennsylvania when I was 19. It was just me and my dog. The most recent trip I took was from South Carolina to Louisiana with our daughter and two dogs. My husband met us later and then drove back home with me. It's not a big deal for me at all. My parents are divorced and my mom hates to fly because she gets motion sickness so we've always driven for vacations. Give me a map and I can go anywhere.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2010