Would you let him out of school?

My husband just called to let me know there is going to be a truck race in town three weeks from now. It's free and he wants to pull our son out of school on a Thursday to take him to go watch it. It's at the big speedway so it's kind of a big deal. If your husband wanted to pull your child out of school for a day to go watch a race, would you let them go to have a special day with Dad?

If your answer is No, what would you consider to be a compelling reason to remove them from school (other than illness)?

I already gave him my answer. I just want to know what the majority of moms would do.

sillyt

Asked by sillyt at 11:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would let my daughters miss school for a special time like this. .I wouldn't make it a habit.. but everyone needs a little fun! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes. As long as grades are good.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Let him go. It would be awesome quality dad time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've let my kids get out of school on very rare occasions, mostly for educational things or family vacations. How frequently do he and his dad go to things like this? And how old is your son? Doesn't matter as much with kids up to about 14, I think, but after that even one day off school seems like they miss a lot.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It would depend upon what was going on at school and if it was an unusual experience.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 11:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think that a child can benefit greatly from doing things like this every once in a while. They get to have a new experience, which is educational, and they have that time to remember that will always be special to them.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:34 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would say yes. Providing your son's grades are up to par & his attendance is good. We took our twin boys out of school for a Monday in November last year cuz we were given excellent free tickets to the NASCAR race at the Texas Motor Speedway. The race was scheduled late on Sunday & it's 225 miles from our home. So, that was why we took them out for that Monday. Their grades didn't falter at all, as we had the teachers give them their assignments ahead of time so they wouldn't get behind. Also, we had never taken them out for anything like that before. I know some parents that take their kids out for a week or two at a time for vacations and such. We don't do that. But, the occasional rare event, I think that is just fine. Life is short. Who says you can't have a little fun along the way.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would let him. First of all, it's at the beginning of the year. All they do is review stuff from last year. Secondly- it's not like you're pulling him out of school for things all the time, this is something special. We have a trip to the Pittsburgh Zoo with my uncles planned for next month, and we will be pulling our oldest two out of school for the day. We don't get to spend a lot of time with my uncles, and this is something we've been planning all summer. I think it's perfectly acceptable.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Let him go!!!! great bonding!!!! Then he knows his dad is awesome!!!! Just for curiosity sake,what was your answer silly????
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would let him go. My kids get 1 "free day" per semester. Sometimes stuff lands on a weekday and its an awesome opportunity. :)
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2010