Is this mean?

After tying every method for correct bad behavior and not getting results, I just thought I'd try a new approch.

I'm thinking of putting their names on a paper cup and putting a small bag of M&M's (their favorite) in each cup. The rule is simple. Bad behavior means I take 1 M&M out of the cup. They only get to eat what's left after dinner. I'm hoping they are really gonna try hard to keep all their M&Ms.

Is this a bad idea though? I also worry about the 2 yr old. She might want m&ms way before it's time to eat them. (I'm not going to do this with her, just give her the m&ms...the others are old enough to understand)

Would you do this? What do I do about the 2 yr old wanting m&ms before it's time.

Am I nuts? lol :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• LOL. Hey, it sounds like a pretty good idea for me. My kids are still really young, though so I would have to find something less sugary for them and they may not even get it like you said. I think you're onto something. Let us know if it works! hahaha.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Maybe if you kept them out of sight. I can't imagine it working if the two year old knew about them before dinner but with the older kids I think it is a clever idea.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think it sounds great and will teach a good many things at the same time. Patience is one. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think its a good idea.. They will eventually learn that the better they are, the more candy they get!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It's a good idea, except for one thing. Do you really want your kids eating M&Ms on a daily basis? If they behave, that's a lot of candy.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Sounds too complicated for kids to understand. I don't think you would actually run to their cup and take out an M&M every time they act up. I bet it would only last 1 day before you got sick of it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I like the idea... you might want to try some positive reinforcement too.... if they do something especially good put an extra M&M in their cup :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010