How do I get my toddler to stop playing in her diapers? adult content

My daughter is 20 months old, has no interest in potty training but has been playing in her dirty diapers and making "art projects" .

If we don't catch her either right after or during she makes a huge mess.

Anyone know how I can get her to stop short of force potty training her or putting her in overalls (we're in Texas, it's way too hot for those)?

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 11:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does she do this in the mornings and is still in a crib? If so, maybe you could try moving her to a toddler bed and gating her room off so she will be more likely to play with toys instead of doing this? My daughter did this, but only a few times before she realized that she didn't like poop on her hands. LOL. Good luck to you.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Have you tried putting the diaper on backward?
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 11:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• it's not that she is taking it off, she just goes in through the leg opening, back to top.
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• geesh she is a tricky one! lol. try to find some comfort in her intelligence and artistic ability? lol sorry I know you are frustrated, I truly have no idea what you can do short of really pushing potty training. Unfortuanantly that cant be pushed much. hang in there mom, here's a bump.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• She does it in her crib or not.. if we aren't paying 100% attention to her every second of the day (she doesn't have a schedule or a time of the day for dirty diapers) she will make a mess.
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Maybe buy smaller diapers? Or get rubber training pants to go on over the diaper? A friend of mine's DD used to do this, but she would take them off. She duct-taped them :) Sorry you're going through this, I'm sure it's a phase ... hopefully a really short one!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010