Can you cook with the pumpkin "guts" leftover from a carved pumpkin?

Other than roasting the seeds, can you cook with the leftover guts of a pumpkin typically used for jack-o-lanterns? I'd like to make a pumpkin cheesecake, bread, or a pie with it but I don't know if this is the type of pumpkin that can be used in cooking. If there are any recipies or any other uses for the guts, please let me know. It just seems so wasteful to toss it out. Thanks!

ciaraslife

Asked by ciaraslife at 12:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Food & Drink

• it's too stringy and fibrous.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Generally speaking, the pumpkins used for carving are not good for the type of eating you're talking about. The parts of it you are removing for carving are stringy and fibrous and wouldn't be usable for anything like bread. Just roast the seeds and toss the rest in your garden for composting.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I use jack o lantern pumpkins for eating. Just don't eat it after you have used it for carving.
    I take the whole pumpkin wash it, rub it down with vegetable oil, put it in a shallow roasting pan with an inch of water and bake it at 300 for a few hours.The shell comes out a beautiful golden brown. Then just cut around the stem and scoop the seeds out. The rest of the flesh can then be scooped out and mashed mixed with a bit of butter and cream put back in the shell and sprinkled with cinnamon. On thanksgiving, it's really pretty on the table.
    Before Thanksgiving I bake one to use the flesh in rolls, quickbread and of course the pie.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008