Hown do handle this?

What would you have said to your 11 1/2 year old daughter when you took her to jr. high her frist day. When she tells you that her friends from last year are ver y immutare. shewas friend swith them for 2 years in 3rd and 4th and 5 th grade. I told her every child grows differently.

butterflysmom

Asked by butterflysmom at 12:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think you did a great job. Everyone does mature differently and I would encourage her to make new friends, but keep the old ones too.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think what you said was great. I probably would have added "Jr. High is very different from Elementary school. You will meet tons of new people, and make a ton of new friends.. Don't worry!"
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 12:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i love it when tweens think they're mature, lol. but i think you handled it very well. i'd also remind her there's no need to grow up so fast-not that she'll want to hear it lol.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think you had just the right answer! That is what I would tell my son! Actually, I probably would have said, "Hey, everyone's different so we all mature at different rates. Aren't you glad though that they will be with you this year too? And besides, you are in a great new school! I am sure there are lots of new friends to meet!"
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would say.... well if they are behaving immature you can choose to over look it because you have a history with them... or you can start to find a new group of friends. I would push her towards the second choice but reminder that even if they are acting immature they are still nice girls and not to treat them meanly.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010