How to get my 4 year old to go number 2 on the potty?

She's been potty training for over a year now and every day I remind her that big girls and boys go on the potty and she recites this with me everyday. But she has yet to go number 2 on the potty everyday instead she goes in her panties and I have gotten to the point where I am about ready to make her clean it instead of me. My mother bought her a stool so she could put her feet on it when she has to go number 2 but she still won't go on the toilet. I've even tried the special surprise root and it hasn't worked. Any suggestions that might help please send me your input.

Momof06n09

Asked by Momof06n09 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you find the answer, PLEASE let me know! Our pediatrician said that they do it because it makes them be in control. They are controlling you because YOU clean them. He said to avoind changing them. Like say, "oh, I have to do this first. I have to do this, I'll get back to you in a bit..." Kind of thing. I started making my son clean himself this summer. I have him go in the shower, take off his undies and clean his underwear, as well as himself. He has started holding it, so he sometimes poops when he is sleeping. It's a nightmare! He thought it was so gross to touch his own poop, but then he just laughs about it. Oh, the ped also said to put them on the potty after each meal and have them try to poop. GL!
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 12:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Ugh! I've been having this same problem, she will go pee in the potty fine, but not poop. I don't understand it. She is 4 as well. I can't figure out anything that works to get her to do it. My 2 year old does it just fine! It's so frustrating. I'll be checking back to see the answers!

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 12:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Not sure, I let my 2yo run around without a diaper on for potty training and he starts running around in circles, and says *pooooo* and he sits on the potty & goes, lol. Reward her maybe if she does/
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• is she scared? if so... then as odd as it sounds, but letting her see you or dad, or other appropriate adults go #2 could work... my oldest was scared that it was going to 'hurt' her... so she watched me go once or twice... saw that i did in fact poop without crying or getting hurt... she got TP for me and flushed... never had an issue since.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010