How do I get my 2yr old to "unattatch"?

My 2 yr old son is constantly attatched to me. He almost never goes to play alone. He screams and tugs at my clothes when I refuse to hold him. I am home all day everyday, so it is not like he gets a chance to miss me. I have a 4yr old also that craves attention and I can BARLEY give her any with out him throwing a fit. I do not give in, I try very hard to share my time. I just can not get anything done with him constantly attatched to me. My husband also tries to get our son to be with him but he fights with my husband untill he lets him run to me. HELP!!

jilly_bear

Asked by jilly_bear at 12:17 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what about having special feild trips with your 4 year old leaving the clingy 2 year old at home so daddy can have massive fun time and then swapping who goes on the trips?
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• great idea, but still tried it and it is twice as bad when I get back.
    jilly_bear

Answer by jilly_bear at 12:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Do you go out on play dates with him? I am a stay at home mom as well, and I know that when I stay away from other children for too long a period of time my little one gets extra clingy and shy. So what I have done is made it a point to go out for a play date at least once a week, where she is around familiar people and kids that she can interact with. It really helps with her.
    She is social butterfly to begin with, but she does go through extreemly clingly stages. I am just letting you know what works for me in these times.
    I also refuse to hold her, I know that you have tried the outings, but you should make it a common routine thing, every time the reaction will be far less drastic. Best of luck too you!
    smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 12:57 AM on Oct. 15, 2008