Lunch at school?

If your 11 year old forgot his/her lunch at home for whatever reason, would you take the lunch to school or let the child go without? Would it matter if the child just honestly forgot it or forgot it because they were back talking about how harsh of a mom you are?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 12:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I certainly wouldn't make them go without.. kids get mad and be mean sometimes, but punishing them by not giving them food should never be an option.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would take it to him.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would have to take them something. I would hate to know that they were at school hungry. But I understand why someone might let them go without if they did it on purpose. Very interesting question. I would have to figure out some other way to discipline the back talk without letting them go hungry.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I guess our school is different. If a child forgets their lunch the parent can call the school up or go to the schools lunch website and pay for a lunch with your credit/check card. My kids hate eating the school lunch and if they forget it this is what I usually do. For me its a win-win situation...the kid learns a lesson, but still gets to eat although it might not be what they like.
    dance45133

Answer by dance45133 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would take them their lunch because they shouldn't go without. BUT I would take it to them in my mumu, with some curlers in my hair, and slippers! hahaha jk
    sylvia559

Answer by sylvia559 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If my dd forgot her lunch the school would feed her. I would let her go without becsue I would be late to work if I had to go home nad get it. She would learn to make sure she gets all her stuff the next day.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If possible I'd bring them their lunch. It wouldn't be the first time I've done that for all three of my kids. It'd be a little trickier now because the school is over 15 miles away and I have no way to get there to bring a lunch. We're in the country with no vehicle and no public busing. There's a taxi service but it costs over $20 to go there and back. It would make more sense for me to give her $5 to hide in her locker in case she ever needs it.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 12:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• That would depend on the circumstances and the child. A kid that habitually screws around before school & leaves stuff at home (or worse, does it on purpose so he doesn't have to carry it on the bus, for instance) I would say no. For a kid like my ADD/Asperger's son, for whom I have higher organizational priorities to work on first (like him turning in the homework he has finished by deadlines), I would take it in. In other words, pick your battles.
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 1:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have had to take lunch to school quite often because my daughter always forgot it..That's my job as a sahm, to be there for the kids
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Our school will always provide pb&js and vegetables to kids who forget their lunch or don't have lunch money. They send a note home, but they feed the kids.
    I would take it to them the first time, but not after that.

Answer by missanc at 3:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010