Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DD's Godparents what us to sign a paper so if anything ever happens we will have it in writting that they are to take responsibility of her, how do I go about it?

I need to get a paper to fill out saying they are her Godparents, but I don't know what to put on the paper stating they are the Godparents. Also, they live 13 hours away, and we will want them to come down here and raise her around family, can we put that in the paperwork? BTW they are SO's sister and brother-in-law. So they are willing to move down here.


Asked by kelcee_eric_bry at 12:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • It is a basic document that any lawyer can draw up. It can also be part of your will I do believe. We had ours as part of our will it cost us about $250. As far as where they raise her  you can put that in there also but as to if they will have to abide my that legally I'm not sure. As long as they agree w/ it I wouldn't worry about that part to much myself!

    Answer by PennyMom at 12:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

  • Ask a lawyer to draw it up so you know it's legal. It's up to you AND the attorney to decide whats right or legal in a chain of custody agreement.

    Answer by vbruno at 12:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

  • You make a will. You can buy a kit or download one from online but I'd still take it to an attorney to have it reviewed and notarized to make sure everything is written properly. If it were me I'd just have an attorney do it. It doesn't cost that much and will save a lot of money if anything happens to you and it is contested.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2008