Do you believe this father?

SEATTLE — The father of a U.S. soldier serving in Afghanistan says he tried nearly a half dozen times to pass an urgent message from his son to the Army: Troops in his unit had murdered an Afghan civilian, planned more killings and threatened him to keep quiet about it.

By the time officials arrested suspects months later, two more Afghans were dead.

And much to Christopher Winfield's horror, his son Adam was among the five Fort Lewis-based soldiers charged in the killings.

The elder Winfield told The Associated Press in an exclusive interview that his son did not kill the unarmed man and would never have been in the situation if the Army had investigated the warnings he says he passed along to Fort Lewis.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20100909/US.Afghan.Probe/

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yes i do believe it & thats fked up.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I hope he has the documentation to back up his story. Then once the investigation is completely over his son should have no problem. Just because there is a charge against him does not mean it is set in stone.
    dance45133

Answer by dance45133 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• That brigade had A LOT of issues...So yeah, it would not surprise me if what he is saying is true.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• How can the father be 100% sure his son is innocent? Was he there?! Does he have some sort of irrefutable proof, or is it a case of "my son is a good kid?! I thought you claimed to know more about legal maneuvers?! LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I feel horrible for his family and the soldier...

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

I was thinking this also

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Hopefully he kept records of that! That'll help his son! They had an article in this week's Army Times about these guys saying how they had a new Sergeant who was in the initial invasion of Iraq. ROEs being much more lax back then that Sergeant had better stories then they did and they wanted to remedy that. Or so the article says, whether that's really what they're saying remains to be seen. They should be coming into the disciplinary barracks where hubby works soon so I'm sure I'll be hearing more about this then I even want to.

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 3:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Oh and I'm sorry but if that soldier was undergoing treatment for a TBI then that made him more coherent then if he wasn't. If he was fit for combat duty then he was fit enough to know what he was talking about during a police investigation, that lawyer has no leg to stand on there!

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 3:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• How can the father be 100% sure his son is innocent? Was he there?! Does he have some sort of irrefutable proof, or is it a case of "my son is a good kid?!

I think the above anytime a relative speaks out for the victim, you just never know...

I thought you claimed to know more about legal maneuvers?! LOL

Wtf are you talking about?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010