Cloth Diapers

How do you wash cloth diapers? Just curious, but when they have a bowel movement, you know the REALLY messy drippy ones, what do you do to clean the diaper, you cannot put it in the washer like that. Do you take it outside and rinse it with the hose? Also, when you are in public, how do you do that? And don't they leak alot, being just cloth? I am really curious, because I want to use them, but I do not know anyone who does. They seem like they would save alot of money though. What's the general concensus amoung those of you who use them? Do you like them?

smzuzu

Asked by smzuzu at 1:05 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• The good ones rarely leak. For public diaper changes I kept a ziploc type freezer bag to put the diapers in in until we got home and I could wash them. I always rinsed BMs in the toilet first before washing them. Just stick them in the toilet water and swish them a few times and that takes care of the messier diapers. Firmer poops just get dumped in the toilet. If you don't want to put your hands in the toilet to rinse it, you could buy a pair of long handled tongs to do the swishing. I really liked using cloth diapers with my two kids. I had to switch to disposables for a while with my second (no washer) and hated it!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Your question conjured up visions of my Mother ringing out poopy diapers in the toilet when my younger brother wore them. I did not use them myself as I think the disposable ones are best for keeping wetness away from baby's skin. Cloth ones are so much better for the invironment. Do they still have diaper services? My mom used one.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Until my son started eating food his poopy diapers just got washed as is. Breast and formula diapers are water-soluble. Since he's started eating I use liners that I can either throw in the wash if they're just pee or peel off into the toilet if they're more than that. Anything remaining on the diaper gets scraped of into the toilet bowl. I just can't bring myself to swish, though most do. Then it gets washed in the washer (pre-rinse on cold, full wash with an extra rinse cycle).

It's really not a big deal.

I've had ONE blow-out poopy diaper that was not contained, btw. Only one. In 6 months. I've been cloth diapering since baby came home from the hospital. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I myself haven't cloth diapered I know a women that did and she would rinse them in the toilet and then she had a bucket with water and some soap not sure if there was anything else in it. Well she would put the dirty diapers in the bucket then did a load of them once a week.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 4:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• washing cloth diapers is super easy. while they are still strictly breast/bottle fed, you can just throw poopy diapers in the washer. no rinsing or dunking needed. there is this great site that can tell you how to wash diapers Eco Baby Buzz. It has has tons of helpful info too.

faiths13

Answer by faiths13 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 19, 2008