breast feeding

Ok so dont laugh at this. My baby is 4 weeks old. My breast milk didnt come in for 2 weeks so i have been formula feeding him since birth. I have a lot of guilt about this because i really wanted to breat feed. He gets constipated a lot and seems to be very gassy. My question is my breasts are still leaking, very little but enough to wear a pad. If i were to try could i start breastfeeding him now? would my milk come back in? and is that bad for the baby to switch? Thanks for the feed back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It can come back if you stop formula and nurse on demand and everytime the baby cries give it the boob. Even an adoptive mom can nurse. You didn't have to supplement, colostrum would have been fine. Go for it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No its not bad to start him now, if your breasts are leaking then they are producing. The more you feed him, the more milk your body will produce....start RIGHT NOW!

He may have trouble latching b/c he has been on bottle...just wait for him to open his mouth WIDE WIDE WIDE and shove your breast in his mouth...if feels like you are choking them, but thats how they can latch correctly! Promise :)

Also, dont worry if he is getting enough or not, he will cry for more if he is still hungry!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You can absolutely start breastfeeding again. It will take a little time for your supply to come back up, but really all you have to do is nurse, nurse nurse. Every time baby is hungry, let him nurse before you give a bottle. If he won't latch because of nipple confusion you can pump, just make sure you are pumping every 3 hours, even at night. When he gets to the point where he's getting full just on breastmilk you can cut out the formula. Good luck :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• How quickly will my milk come back in?
    AllyBM

Answer by AllyBM at 12:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It shouldnt really be gone at all. Can you express some, (squeeze some out yoursef) But like several of us said...the more you nurse the more milk you will get!

Good Luck :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• How did you expect your milk to come in if you were feeding formula? Your body responds to stimulation and baby needs to nurse to tell your body to make milk.

The bigger issue now won't be supply... supply will always follow demand. The bigger issue will be getting him to latch after 4 weeks of bottles. Go to the breastfeeding moms group and ask for help to get him latching and building supply. You CAN do it, but it may take some work at this point. Have you tried to latch him recently?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He may not like it at first, because he has to work a little harder than with the nipple of a bottle, but stick with it! You can do this!!! You might also want to try pumping to help increase your supply, like Rhianna said. Try to relax about it when you do nurse him. The more stressed you are, the less your milk will come down. He will also sense your stress. Also, try not to eat foods that will make him less gassy...broccoli and pizza were my no no's. Good for you for trying! Let us know how it goes, we all love our CM success stories!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He was very small and we were getting NOTHING so the doctors said it was time to go to formula. Believe me i tried.
    AllyBM

Answer by AllyBM at 12:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010