How do you bring up sex to a 9 and a 6 year old?

My sons are showing off body parts to each other and talking to each other about kisses and other things. When I ask them what they are talking about they say nothing and thats it. I am told its time to talk to them about their changing bodies but I dont know how. My daughter always asked, so I dont know what to do with the boys. Any advice?

Asked by andyrae at 12:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would take them to the library and show them lots of book with pictures and diagrams. My duaghter and her cousin started to do the same thing around that age and the stopped doing it after that.

Answer by chrysbolouvi at 12:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Get a book aimed at kids and leave it out. I would also ask if they want to talk about it if not I wouldn't push it to much at this age myself especially the 6 year old. Any questions they do have I would answer as clearly and with as little detail as possible at this age. If they want more info they will ask. Boys tend to ask latter and want less detail then what girls do.

If you really feel that it is time to have a little talk I would just start by asking them what they DO know and kinda feel my way from there...hope that helps.

Answer by PennyMom at 12:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• take them to a farm. or a zoo. someplace where there are a lot of animals that are allowed to breed. then ask them how does the babys come about. if they don't have a clue then you can tell them. the (insert male animal) puts his penis(yes, be honest-they know what they are obviously) in the (insert female animal) vagina. then the male puts sperm into the females' vagina and it meets an egg in the female and attaches to the uterine wall and starts growing into a baby. show them the difference in the male and female parts in a encyclopedia. then tell them that only adults should do this as they can take care of the baby that comes from it. done.

Answer by chromefox at 12:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I think you should take them to the library hon and explain to them what books you are checking out and after you have read them then you should have a sit down and talk session with both of them. If you need me to I will help you explain it to them since I know them both. Best of luck Hon.

Answer by bflymomof3 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Give them only they answers they need - don't go too far into it! Sometimes we want to explain everything, but all they may need to know is that our bodies are different because girls eventually have to hold babies inside and boys dont. Take it from there and answer as simple as possible.

Answer by Bentyswife at 11:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Thank You ladies!!! I was always honest with my DD and only gave her enough to satisfy her curiosity at that time. I did ask the younger one today if he had any ?s about his body and he said no. Now I need to ask the older one and I think books would help. I know I found a good one for my DD. Hopefully they have one for boys too. again THANX

Answer by andyrae at 12:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2008