Do you ever find it somewhat difficult to get along with your child?

I've had ongoing issues with my 10 year old son for a few years now.He is becoming bolder,more smart mouthed,more daring in his actions and words toward me. I love my son more than anything in this world and I want him to know that, but as I sit back and reflect on our conversations with one another I can imagine he might not know it.I feel like everyday is just a constant battle with him anymore to get him to do what he is supposed to do.Then we battle because of his attitude towards me when he doesnt do those things.I want my little boy back, the sweet one, that loved his mommy and hugged me with all his might and had to give 100 kisses before falling asleep at night.I wake up telling myself, today is going to be a better day for us...and something always happens,he starts one of his tantrums,refuses to cooperate,pushes all my buttons.I just wish we could fix this, I really do.I miss my son. :(

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Went through the exact same thing with my girl at that age.....well she is 13 now and has recently been getting physically violent with me,sneaking out,cussing, and I recently found rolling papers in her room! ....STOP HIM NOW! DO NOT ALLOW HIM TO DISREPECT YOU!. I thought "well it's just a faze" and maybe it is ,but you need to set VERY clear boundaries right now.Your son may just be going through normal adolescent changes but PLEASE just be sure to communicate with him as much as you can.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I go through that, too, with my eleven year old. It's hard. She used to be so sweet, and snuggly. and now she's well...evil.

I usually give her a second chance to say things a different way. Sometimes it helps.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have an 11 year old and we are going through that too. She can be really snitty and it's hard to deal with the constant complaining. I hate hearing "that's not fair" over and over and over again. I keep telling myself that this too will pass. We were very lucky with our older daughter, she's 15 and never really went through this.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've been fairly lucky I guess, although my oldest son (he's 16) has had his moments. This past year we got into it because he wasn't forthcoming when I asked where he was going and with who. Then he started with the back talk, I sent him to his room. I then went into the room after I calmed down, and talked to him. What I basically told him is that his words hurt, they way he talks to me hurts my feelings just as it would if I talked to him like that. I told him how much I loved him, how important my relationship with him is and that if this doesn't stop I worry that we won't have a relationship at all after he leaves, and asked him how he thought he would feel not having a mom around on days when he really needed her. I think it helped, the back talk is less, there aren't a lot of arguements about things I need him to do. Try just finding a moment to talk to him about it. Its so hard as they start to grow up. :(
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think we all have our moments. Hang in there!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010