Is she too young to go to the bus herself?

My big girl just started grade 2 and really wants to walk to the end of teh driveway by herself. Now you gotta see we got a long driveway that I can't see the end of from my windows. She does know the rules of staying on the yard not on the road etc. but i just want to knwo when you let your kids wander to the end of the driveway and wait for their bus on their own :)

BeatriceSW

Asked by BeatriceSW at 12:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• she is too young. i have a baby but my mother she didnt let my sister travel by herself until she was 10 years old
    Lovehurts1

Answer by Lovehurts1 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My DD last year in Kindergarten . I would help her across the street. Then let her walk all the way to the other comer to wait for the bus. She sometimes would be the first one there. She know where to stand and wait. This year she is showing me how she can cross the street by herself. As soon as she is across. I go home and she goes to the bus stop all by herself.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My school would not pick up a second grader waiting alone for a bus. It had to be the end of third grade.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Not if you cant see her. My son goes to the end of our driveway and he's in 2nd grade but I am literally right there until he gets on the bus.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If it were me, I would stand where I could see her but still let her be down there on her own. I think second grade is old enough to stand at the end of the drive, but not stand on a road out of view. :) I don't let my third grader get off of the bus alone simply because of the out of sight thing. Our busses no longer stop at each driveway and his stop is quite a ways down the road and down a hill so I can't see.

Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't do it
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Thanks everybody I agree that she's a bit small yet. It's out of my view. I mean we live in the country and she doesn't cross any streets but regardless i think letting her go alone she's too small for yet. But the idea of me "hanging out" in the yard is a great one and just watching vs hovering lol
    BeatriceSW

Comment by BeatriceSW (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would stay with her or at least where I could see her. Yes, living out in the country seems safer, but we had a little boy run over while waiting for the bus just down the road from us when we lived out in the country. There was a lot of dust and he wandered farther into the road and the car did not see him at all. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My daughter catches the bus about halfway down our street (it's a dead end road, not much traffic). I stand outside in the driveway where I can see her when I am unable to walk her clear to the bus stop. I have three younger kids at home, so I can't always walk down there (like if my youngest is sleeping). She is in first grade this year.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• hmm... Good question...I always watch them get on bus ....Even now when they are in middle school and high school. When i see the bus then i go inside as so the other kids don't see me standing there with them. Try walking with her until u see the bus coming then back off a little up your driveway,... She will still feel like she is grown up and you get to know she is getting on the bus safely. A good compromise lets her know you are concerned for her safety but u are also thinking of her and her independence as well.
    Mariejen

Answer by Mariejen at 9:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2010