Would you have said something?

Without going into a lot of detail, I'm divorced and my ex is a pathological lier. He lies about everything all the time. I had someone find me on facebook and ask me to confirm or deny some of the stories he was telling. She was concerned about her friend that was getting involved with him. He was lying. Would you answer or just stay out of it? I have my thoughts on the matter, but want to see if other people feel the same way.

jillybean703

Asked by jillybean703 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• I would tell her that he is a pathological liar & leave it at that. No need to get any more involved or give any more detail, a fare warning is enough. All this could backfire in your face though, so be careful.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would stay out of it. It will get back to him. If the lies are about you, I would simply say, I'm not going to talk poorly about my ex. I'm not that kind of person.

That says it all.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If someone asked me a direct question I would probably answer. Depending on the subject matter my answer may simply be "test his story". My x is a compulsive liar. My kids have a hard time knowing when he's lying. I simply say if his mouth is open, he's lying. If he lies about me or says I said something I tell them to think if it sounds like something I'd say or do. I let them be the judge.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would say something just to spare any one else from getting hurt. If they dont heed your advice and they get hurt, at least they were warned.
    2and2onway

Answer by 2and2onway at 12:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i would answer the questions and tell her the truth.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think I would WANT to tell this person the truth. But I don' t know if I would get involved in it or not. I would maybe say something like"Youre a good friend for looking out for your friend, but I feel its really not my place to answer your questions. I'll just tell you to really trust your instincts on this one"
    ANd leave it at that.
    Unless the lies were harmful toward the person in any way, physically or being schemed to do something illegal or to be taken for her money/assets or something like that..stuff a con artist would do.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Id tell the truth.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It would really depend on the lies that were being told. My bil has lied about his name, that he has a job, car, home, and basically everything about himself. But in addition to that was stealing from my dh and I, his mom, broke into a home, and stole a vehicle to make his lies believable. Trust your gut.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'd tell the truth. She is concerned for her friend and if you know the truth then you should tell it.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't know that I would get involved in this case, but if the new girl friend contacted me I would be open and honest. Right now you would probably just look like a meddling ex and the new girl friend wouldn't take it to heart.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010