Am I bad parent to send my little ones out to play without me?

My twins are 3 yrs old. They do not nap. Before and after lunch I send them out back to play together with out me. I can see them from wherever I am, I just choose to get other stuff done instead of being outside. They are actually outside right now as I type this. My yard is fenced in completely and they play on the swing set, sandbox and their bikes. I have been told by others that I am horrible for doing this, but its the only way to get a break and get some house work done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would not do that. Even in a fenced in yard, accidents can happen, and at the ER, you won't be able to answer critical questions to help treat your child.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't say "bad mom".. but i absolutely wouldn't let my 3 year year old.. or 5 year old for that matter.. outside alone, fenced in or not.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I was raised that way and turned out fine. Kids are not meant to be under their moms feet 24/7 or to be parked in front of the tv. Maybe open a window if you can so you can hear as well as see them.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Your yard is fenced and you can see them. Nothing is wrong with letting them have a little freedom without you being a helicopter mom.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• no your not horrible. my kids play outside without me all the time. especially in the summer! i cant handle sitting outside in 90degrees as long as they want to play. i can see them right through the window no matter where in the yard they are. i have a mirror set up so even if im in the kitchen i can see out the window. if your watching them dont worry. my nwibor and i actually take turns watching them( her daughter is 4 and so is mine) too so if one of us need a shower or needs to clean a room that we cant see them in we just let each other know.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Well, I couldn't do it .. .not even sure when he is 6 or 7 but I've been told I am OVER protective
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You are not a bad parent. You are letting them know they have some freedom and some independents. I let my 6 yr and 3 yr old play outside in our back yard. I do check on them a lot and can see them pretty much all the time.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't think your a bad mom, but I wouldn't do that even if my yard was fenced up. I usually go outside with my kids, to watch them. they are 5 and 3. I normally go outside and take a book, magazine or my laptop. I want them to be independent but want to supervise them and be there with them, especially at this age.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 1:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If you are watching them I think it's fine. I don't know about them being out there and you being on the computer though. :) My youngest is just about to turn 3 and I let her play outside on the patio. When she's with her siblings (5 and 8) she plays in the yard. I just do any chores that are in the kitchen or utility room while she's out there because it's right there.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I do it. My daughter will be 4 next month and we have a locked gate, we keep windows open to hear her and see her. So no I do not think you are a bad mom at all! Do what you feel comfortable with.
    buddahbum

Answer by buddahbum at 1:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010