Babies Encyclopedia: How do you cut your infant's finger nails?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!
But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.
We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.
Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• New borns naile sre soo soft you can bite them off.
    buddahbum

Answer by buddahbum at 12:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• When my son was little (from newborn until he got old enough to sit still), I would always cut his fingernails and toenails while he was sleeping. That way, it did not effect him at all!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Since their nails are still soft, it's best to use a file rather than clippers. Clipper pose the risk of getting the sensitive skin underneath since their nails are not pulled away from the nail.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• When my son was a baby, he would never hold still long enough for me to cut his nails and he would scream his head off.I waited until he fell asleep because he was a deep sleeper, nothing would wake him up.I used baby clippers and held his hand and clipped little slivers away at a time. Be careful because for awhile, babies nails are still attached to the skin sometimes and you can cut thier skin. My daughter was much easier about it. I just sit her in my lap, hold her hand and clip them with the baby clippers. She sits very still and likes to watch.Now that she's 18 months old, she likes to have her nails painted when I'm done and she even sits still for that! LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Whoops...Skin not nail at the end
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• with an infant nail clipper
    SarahNKnapp

Answer by SarahNKnapp at 1:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I preferred to use the little scissors with the rounded ends.

Then, I'd wait till the little buggers were sleeping, take small nips at the nail, and then file them with the newborn emery boards. The adult ones have too harsh of a grain.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You can wait until your baby is asleep to start clipping nails as to not accidentally cut baby due to movement.
    Always use baby nail clippers -- they really are just the right size and the blade part of regular clippers goes in way too far
    Most days, it's safer and easier to just use an emery board and file the nails down rather than clipping them
    Clip or file right after a bath when the nails are softer
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I was petrified of this very activity for fear of hurting this precious life entrusted to me. Trying to open his newborn hand would only stimulate his palm and cause an increase in the grasp reflex, curling those tiny little fingers even tighter. And, he was SO wiggly! My MIL suggested I bite them, but having had one too many microbiology classes, I knew the amount of bacteria in the human mouth. That was not an option for me. I would nurse him until he fell asleep at the breast and then clip them while he was asleep. If I woke him up at all, he would suck a couple of times and go right back to sleep. I think the first time I did it, it took me half an hour. LOL I definitely recommend the baby clippers with the big rounded handle.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• This worked for me :The best time to do this is while he's sleeping. (You may want to leave nail utensils in the car so you can do the job while your baby's asleep in his car seat.) Another good time is right after a bath, when your baby's nails are at their softest.
    Make sure you have enough light to see what you're doing. Use a pair of baby scissors or clippers made especially for the purpose. Press the finger pad away from the nail to avoid nicking the skin, and keep a firm hold on your baby's hand as you clip.
    Cut fingernails along the curve of the finger.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 1:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010