Who loves Stephen Colbert?

A hot dog vending cart was wheeled back and forth. Cocktail waitresses hurried past with trays full of beer. Vice President Joe Biden led New York Yankees great Yogi Berra by the arm.

Such was the bizarre, red-white-and-blue circus backstage at comedian Stephen Colbert's celebration of U.S. troops' return from Iraq. The Comedy Central host pulled out all the stops Wednesday night for the first part of his two-episode special, "Been There: Won That: The Returnification of the American-Do Troopscape."

It was a somewhat rare show of exultation to what President Barack Obama has called the end of combat operations in Iraq. Some 50,000 troops remain in the Middle East country, where local forces have a tenuous hold on security. Fighting in Afghanistan also continues.

Those truths were never far from "The Colbert Report" on Wednesday, but Colbert made the evening's tone clear at the start.

"

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The support he has for the troops has been amazing. I think he's great. I remember when he went to Iraq. It's such a morale booster for them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Colbert ROCKS!!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Love him? No..... Enjoy his entertainment? Yes. ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• LOVE Colbert! didn't watch the whole show last night cause i wanted to catch some news before i went to bed but what i did see was great, i loved that VP Biden was serving Hot Dogs :D LOL!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He's just all around awesome. :D
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 1:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• oh! that was nice!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I liked how he got Biden to give Bush credit and a big thank you for winning the war in Iraq..

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't. I don't really watch him so that's why I can't say i'm a fan.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• YES! I do love him. Remember last summer when he had his head shaved and went over to spend time with the troops and his show was bradcast there for us. LOVE him! I watched him this morning. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes---Bush started the war but he didn't win it and that is what Biden said He didn't thank Bush for winning the war. Nice try tho, Ms Nate,Conservative Lib-hater. Sheeeesh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010