a friend asked me and a few of my friends this....

Okay ladies I have a cleaning question: I have a soft Duraplush fabric sectional by ashley its in mocha. Now I am able to take off the cushion covers and throw them in the dryer. My problem is my outtman *sp* I can't take the cover off it .. I tried steamcleaning it, it has only made the problem worst. * damn kids lol) any suggestions on how to get this clean.. please and thank u!!

pinkdena

Asked by pinkdena at 1:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You can call the manufacturer and they sometimes have slip covers for ottomans.

Otherwise without taking it apart (literally, I'm looking at one right now, lol) you can't take the fabric off to wash it.

Try a stain remover like resolve and some elbow grease and it should come up.. if not it may not come up and the fabric may need to be replaced. (if it doesn't you can call the manufacturer and they can send out a person to replace the fabric. Although because it is a stain due to children it will be written under "abuse" and thus not covered under warranty. ) Be sure to have the tags for the furniture still on the furniture so they can order the proper fabric based on the serial numbers if necessary.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• (my parents run a furniture repair business, and I do a lot of paperwork for them, and honestly that's the best advice I can give you at this point.. )
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If the ottoman was really very dirty and the steam cleaner did not help, I would bring it outside wash it with dish soap & water with a soft brush and hose it thouroughly with the garden hose & let it dry in the sun. Bring it in at night & out in the sun the next day until it dries. I have wool area rugs that got dirty & everyone said that I cannot wash them myself. I brought them outside on my deck, drizzled them with dish soap and hosed them hard & rinsed the soap out then hung them to dry on my deck railing. They came up beautifully & clean.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It depends on what it is stained with. Is it just dirt or somethng oil-based? A good stiff brush with hot soapy water might help. If it's a lost cause I would get a slipcover in a pattern that matches..... that would be washable.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We keep a throw blanket over our ottoman.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010