Is there a place in the East Valley AZ where my daughter can volunteer her time besides a hospital or homeless shelter?

I want my teenager to learn about being selfless.

ChicaThis

Asked by ChicaThis at 1:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would look for assisted living facilities for our elderly population. They are great to work with and these places are generally an OK place to be.

And there should be plenty in your area because I hear old folk like the heat better than the snow, and I can't say that I blame them.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 1:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Are you looking for volunteer gigs that allow her to help people without having contact with the people she's helping? Doesn't that kind of dampen the experience? You could check with the food banks. She could probably help pack boxes or something in the background. Elementary schools use teen volunteers, after school programs, maybe you have a Boys and Girls Club in the area? Is she into outdoorsy stuff? Maybe there is a program where she can teach little kid programs or help build nature trails, etc. I bet someone in her high school counseling dept. could help you guys find something. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• How about working with animals, like at the Humane Society?
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• There are tons of wonderful volunteer opportunities for teens. To list just a few? The American Red Cross, The Girl Scouts, The YMCA, the local hospital, the Salvation Army ... the list is nearly endless!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My daughter volunteered at a Women's Shelter all through high school. You can also just google "youth volunteer , your city, AZ".
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 4:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am sure all the animla shelters have a volunteer program. However, make sure she knows that usually invovles cleaning up after the animals.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010