Anyone dyed their hair while pregnant?

My friend and i are debating on this issue. My doctor said it's ok to dye my hair during pregnancy, that it's an old wive's tale that says you can't. My friend thinks my doctor is wrong. What do you think?

Asked by jolee0222 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Your fine to color your hair. If you still feel uneasy about it, do a highlight/lowligt instead - that way the chems never touch your skin. :)

Answer by karamille at 1:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes i did..Ia strawberry blonde for the first preg.. and in the 3rd one, I colored it blonde at the beginning, then Highlighted it closer to the due date.

Answer by Airforce3mom at 1:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes I dyed my hair every month during both pregnancies

Answer by buddahbum at 1:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I dyed my hair 7 times while I was pregnant and my daughter is as healthy as she could ever be!

Answer by mygirlpaige at 1:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes you can dye your hair when pregnant. The only thing is to make sure you are in a well ventilated room. I just ca't because the smell makes me sick.

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Thank you everyone!! I knew i was right LOL!!!

Comment by jolee0222 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i dyed my hair once while i was pregnant, and then told my DR and she said i would be fine but i should probably not do it again.
    personally, i would not dye my hair in the first trimester, and i wouldnt dye it more then once and if you can wait, you should .. why chance it. and i would stay away from blonde colors because those are harsher.

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It's definately not recommended due to the inhalation of the fumes that are produced by the dying process. However, if you're in a well ventilated room you should be okay.

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Well neither are right really.

There are risks to coloring hair because most hair colors contain ammonia, which is needed to open and swell the cuticle to allow the pigments to penetrate into the cortex of the hair, thus coloring your hair.

Ammonia, as I'm sure your doctor has mentioned with things like changing cat liter, and such are things that CAN be potentially harmful to the fetus. However to reduce possible effects it's best to stay off direct contact with the scalp during a color process, and to be in a well ventilated area. According to most research (what little there is on the matter) so long as you are cautious then the risks should be minimal to almost non existent because of the limited amount actually used in the products.

You can use ammonia free products, but I would stay away from henna or metalic dye products for other reasons.

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Now on that note.. yes I do color women's hair while they are pregnant, and yes I have colored my own. I just am aware of the situation and reduce the risks as much as possible.

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010