another question about car seats...

I asked about when to put my toddler in abooster seat and everyone said 4yrs old and 40lbs... But both of my 5 point seats say up to 36" or 30lbs max. Well my son is 3'6" and 35lbs. Hes in a booster. Hes 4yrs old but tall and skinny.

So do i go by hight, weight, or age with him? His booster saids safe for over 3yrs and over 30lbs.
Its confusing to me.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 1:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've never seen a carseat that only holds up to 30 pounds, are you sure that isn't the max for REAR facing only?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• What kind of seat is it? Are you sure that is not the rear facing max?
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Personally, I keep my children harnessed as long as I can. My 4 1/2 year old is still in her 5 pt harness seat. I wont booster with her until she is 50 pounds. She is a tall skinny thing, and we have a car seat that allows us to harness for longer and wasn't that expensive. She doesn't even weigh 40 pounds yet, so boosteringwould be out of the question for us at the moment also. But I want her to be safe, we live in a city with LOTSSSSS of people on the road every day (Los Angeles) but anyway.

I am not totally sure on booster laws but if they are like car seat laws, they have to be 4 and 40 pounds, so you may want to consider harnessing him for a bit longer if you still have a seat to do that. If not make sure he is in a high back booster that fits him properly.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I can't think of a single 5 point car seat that has a maximum weight of 30 lbs, I would reread your manual
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I still have my 5 (almost 6 year old) and my 4 year old in 5 point harness carseats. We have the nautilus by graco. They fit up to 60 lbd in the harness and 100 lbs for the booster. My kids are both tall and skinny-so they reached max height on a regular car seat before the weight limit. I love the nautilus and have many friends who have them and love them too. I got mine from walmart and target.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Im not exactlly sure of the brand, but maybe i did read it wrong. It is a rear and forward facing one so that could be it. My other one is one that has the pull down bar that goes infront of my 2yr old daughter. I love that one! I live in FL so i worry about accedents all the time cause our town is mainly of ppl 60+yrs old or young kids who just got their license... So i panic offten over this.

I think i will invest in one that holds up to 100lbs also for both of them.

What about an infant seat? What if you have a 30lb baby before they are a year old? Mines only 4 months so i dont have to worry about hers right now but im just asking.

Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You should join the car seat safety group!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i would never put a quit under 6 yrs in a booster. but tahts just me. my kids have myrides my ds 19 mts is rearfaicng and dd 3 1/2 is brand new to ff. the carseat harness up to 65 lbs
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You should go by height and weight. Here they have to be in car seat till at least 40 pounds. The seat we have is good up to 65 pounds.
    Noni2319

Answer by Noni2319 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• bump, cause im not sure.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2010