Why do people compulsively lie?

My daughter's friend is a compulsive liar and she now longer wants to associate with her. Thought there might be more behind the reason why her friend lies. Not sure what to believe with her and how we might be able to help.

ChicaThis

Asked by ChicaThis at 1:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Health

• Compulsive lying isn't neccisarily a concious thing. I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it a mental illness, but it doesn't fall along the same lines. Much like other mental illeness' it is triggered at some point in a child's life. It's called "Compulsive Lying" due to the fact that it isn't premeditated. It's the same as saying the sky is blue to anyone. A compulsive liar says things that to their mind is believed to be true. It's something they say naturally as if they're speaking the truth. This can be triggered by any number of things big or small. In a lot of cases it's triggered by a tragic event. Whether a loved one passing, an abusive situation, or something of that nature. It's a way the mind hides within itself to protect the person from whatever it's experienced. It's not a choice, it's not purposely done by the concious mind either.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It is a mental illness and needs medical attention. But getting a compulsive liar the help they need is near impossible. Good luck.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• its a way of getting attention...if she is like my sd she would lie to the devil himself! My sd has a disorder i forget what its called but her lieing has gotten to the point that she is being sent away to wilderness camp bc her lies were endangering our lives...and No this is not a fake anwer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My husband has a child from a previous relationship, the child's mother lie's all the time. Not really starting a fight with us or anything.. but just literally lies about basic simple things. Glad your daughter is wanting out of the friendship. That is a huge step. How old are they?
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes, her friend has said some really outrageous stuff which at first we were a little worried about as far as whether or not it happened. After awhile we couldn't help but suspect lying. She has talked about being raped, beat, and that she had twin sibblings who have died and now she says she's anorexic. There's alot more but it's just kind of ridiculous so I won't go one...
    ChicaThis

Comment by ChicaThis (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have no idea, but my husband's brother, mother, and aunt all do it. They'll sit there and try to deny something that came out of their mouths not even two minutes before, I swear. I can't stand it, and have pretty much stopped having anything to do with any of them.

(the brother pawned his stuff and said he was robbed, had cops come out and everything)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My sister is a compulsive liar.She is also bi-polar.And she does it for attention.She is in big time denial.She doesn't think there is anything wrong with her.& if compulsive liars don't think that there is anything wrong with them,then you can't get them the help that they need.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 4:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• They lack self confidance and have the need to be like by others, trying to impress them.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010