anybody have a compulsive skin picking disorder? adult content

what have you done to try and stop? has it worked so far? i have a compulsive skin picking disorder and i've picked at myself all my life for as long as i can remember. i don't want to anymore. i need some help to stop. i notice that i start to do it when i'm stressed or thinking about something in particular. and the really sick thing is that i feel better when my lips are all bloody and stinging after i've incessantly picked at them until there is no more skin left :( any help would be great. i can't afford therapy right now

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Health

• there is a disease called tricolelemania..thats not the spelling but these ppl have serious pickin disorders, they will pull eyelashes, hair, skin whatever and most of the time they do it subconsiously..you do need help see a dr and get meds to help...go to ur local health dept for help..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 1:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've worked with people who have but they had 24 hour staff that could physically block them. Other than that I'm not sure unless you want to reward yourself for going so long without picking and increase the amount of time gradually.
    mamacifuni

Answer by mamacifuni at 1:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• IDK if I would call it compulsive. But I do have very damaged cuticles cause of it, I also peel my lips (staying hydrated really helped that), and there's not a pimple or blackhead that's untouched by my finger nails. My only advice would be to watch yourself and put barriers (like bandaids) on the most picked areas. I once told myself I'd stop scratching off my cuticles. With concentration and, I stopped. but I eventually picked up again and haven't stopped since. I guess I just never saw it as a big problem. It's just a hand habit for me.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• This can be a form of OCD, which I DO have experience with, but I don't have a picking disorder like the one you describe here. I can, however, definitely relate to not having control over compulsions. I used to have to get up at least 6 times to check that the doors were locked, the alarm clock set, and everything was tidy before I could sleep. I also still have problems with excessive hand washing (which causes my hands to chap and crack in the winter). My husband has helped me out so much with these compulsions, showing me that if I don't give into them, everything will be fine. It really helps to have support from someone you trust when you are trying to avoid giving into your compulsions. Good luck to you in your battle. You CAN do this. Just remember that. Nothing bad will happen if you DONT GIVE IN. You will be fine. And once you realize that, the compulsions will get less and less. Good luck to you.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am not a professional but it sounds to me like you have Compulsive/Obsessive Disorder.And you really need to see a therapist that specializes in Compulsive/Obsessive Disease.You are not alone with this.There are millions who suffer from this disorder.& it is very treatable.You've done the first thing.& that is realizing you have a problem and asking for help.Good luck sweetheart.& be brave little warrior! : )

bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 4:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I actually did for a period in my life. I took care of my mom for 7 yrs to varying degrees while she had cancer. When there was no more hope it was I who took care of her. It was very stressing as I'm not the nurse type, My mom and I were never really close. There was no hate it was just a so so relationship. It was hard on me and the things that happened during that 6 months are not anything I ever want to go through again. I had a zit on my chin and for some reason I started picking at it. I'd catch myself and pull my hand away but I just couldn't stop. I now have a keloid scar there from picking at it so much. After my mom passed I just quit. I'm not sure how long it took but I just stopped.
    If you do this there is a reason. You may not even know why but you need professional help in figuring out what it is if you don't know whether it was a lifetime scar that caused the behavior or just a temporary time of stress
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010