By what age should the pacifier be taken away?

rach_jaco

Asked by rach_jaco at 2:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• My little one just turned 3 and daddy and I decided now was the time to lose it. It didn't affect her teeth, or her speech. She speaks beautifully, in fact. She didn't scream when we "threw" it away. We reasoned with her and she agreed. Not to say that she doesn't ask for it once and awhile, but she is doing great. She is ready to be a big girl and gave it up willingly.
    You have to chose what is right for them, and at what age is a good time to lose it. Only you know your child enough to say when the right time is.
    New studies have shown that longer use of a pacifier do not affect teeth or speech.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 11:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I know some moms may disagree with me, but I take the pacifier away between 2 and 3 years old. It is a security thing to them, and before this age they go through so much, losing the bottle, moving to a big kid bed, learning new things every day. It just seems like undue stress to take the pacifier too. I feel if it's gone by 3 then that is fine.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:08 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i took it away from mine at 10 months.. even though it's a security thing, pacifiers and bottles when the baby has teeth can help rot their mouths..i know you wouldn't want to help the reason their mouths start to rot. you need to weigh your options... a screaming kid for a couple of days becuase they cant have their "security" or their mouths possibly rotting. and im not bashing when i say this next part, but i think it's Rediculus seeing a 2 and 3 yr old with a pacifier still in their mouth!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• at least 1 yr!! no longer..my daughter was off hers at 8 months..itsa whole lot easier to take it away from them young, rather they get attached to it, expect it, know what it is, and know that theyre "missing" something..ya wait til 2 or 3 and theyre gonna start throwing tantrums..at 1, they'll cry, but you can calm them down!! soooo much easier..the younger the better
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:00 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I started to take my sons away about 9 months first i would just give it to him sometimes in the night now i don't give it to him at all. It was alot esier then i thought to take it away. His cousin had her til she was three and they had such a hard time taking it away. She would take my sons from him too they found a stash of them hidden in her cloths there was like 6 lol. but the younger the easier and the better for their teeth.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 3:09 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My first daughter was an addict and kept it unil about 3.5. When she gave it up she did well. It was like my husband and I were worried about her reaction. My other 2 kids did not take one and never wanted it. Do what is good for her. I did not like people coming up to her and saying things, but she is fine, years later at age 7. Her speech is great, and she isn't attached to other objects.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• At around a year I would start leaving it in the car and not having it with us a the store and church etc. at about 18 months only for nap time. then we would just start losing them. Only had one kid (out of 6) on a paci past 2 and his life was chaotic between 2 and 3 (I broke my leg and was on crutches, my exdh had back surgery, we had a big move etc.) so the month he turned 3 we told him the big boys didnt use pacifiers or use diapers... figured that would give him a few weeks until his birthday and we could work toward it. Next morning he got up used the potty and ditched the paci and never looked back. That was 17 years ago this month. It goes fast. The world will not fall apart if it takes a minute longer to get rid of a baby thing, not worth making it a thing that stresses you both out.
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My daughter is almost 17 months and has just been using it for naps since 11 months. We started to take it from her this week. We even had one day of no pacifier but she got sick so I let her have it again. Once she's feeling better we'll try again. So far, it's only about 2 minutes of crying when going to sleep.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I say 3ish... If they decide that they don't want it before that then great! But before that life is very stressful for a child. They have so much going on every day from learning to playing to training... Around 3 things start to calm down. They are off the bottle, in a big bed, potty trained... and so on... So 3 is about right to start to push the no Nuk thing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Normal pacifier use during the first few years of life doesn't cause long-term dental problems.
    Anonymous