The "other" mother

So my two kids enjoy playing with the other two kids across the street. They are the same ages and get along really well. The kids from across the street come to my yard to play, which is fine. But I don't care much for the mother. i feel like she is a totally different mother than I am, I don't want to get in on all the details, she's just not a person I would trust with my kids, or a person I would even want to be around. She always invites my kids over, I always say no. She always comes over to talk my ear off, when I don't really want her near me. What should I do. She doesn't get hints, I feel like the only thing I could do would be, be a jerk, but then the kids would probably suffer. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you don't trust that your kids will be safe in her house then just keep saying no. The kids can still play at your house or outside. If she asks why just tell her you don't like your kids going into other peoples homes. Period. Just make yourself busy when she comes around. Just smile & blow her off. You don't have to be friends with her just because your kids play with hers.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If you dont mind the kids then invite them over to play at your house and not at theirs.... which it sounds like you are doing. If she wants to come "hang out" while the kids are there make up an excuse like "I need to get the laundry done while the kids play". If at some point it comes to where you feel you have to tell her you rather not chat....... then expect the kids will not be allowed over to your house any more. I see nothing wrong with it, unless your kids REALLY like those kids... then you might just have to play the game.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It depends on what she's doing that your so against or what kind of lifestyle she leads that you dissaprove of? You don't have to best of buddies, but why not just be friends because your kids like each other. Like I said, you don't have to go over and hang out with her eating cookie dough and hearing the latest neighborhood gossip, but what's the harm in being just generally friendly?
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would suck it up for the kids. If you don't want to go to her house then you need to suffer her at your house.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• sounds like you are leaving out alot of details...maybe shes lonely, is she a single mother maybe thats why she tries to talk and get along with you...imo if you dont want to be around her yourself why would you allow your children to be around hers?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• How is she so different than you? She is SO DIFFERENT that you can't find an ounce of respect for her? I think we need more details. I don't understand why you cannot find a common ground with her, have you even tried? People do it all the time, like at work. there were people i could not stand at work, but i still respected them & spoke to them & treated them like how i myself would want to be treated, no matter how different they were. I never tried to avoid anybody, or felt like i had to tell them to leave me alone. So, whats the deal? Why don't you like her?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

This exactly.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2010