If you were to go to the food shelf would you be fussy about it or take what they give you?

I have a friend who goes to the food shelf and tells them she will only take name brand mac-n-cheese and no cans of Green Giant veggies...once I went to her house she had 6 bags of food she was going to throw out because she felt it was junk from the food shelf! I told her to bring it back or let me take it! because it is stupid to throw away good food. I don't care about labels, free food is free food! as long as it's not expired We eat anything

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 1:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Well, I for one when I make donations to a food pantry etc try very hard to donate things I would want to get. I don't have off brand can of beets or some cheap cereal...not that we don't buy store brand items...they are just as good most times. But my point is, I try to donate nice things. I usually get pumpkin pie mix and some carnation evaporated milk so that the person can have a pie for the holidays. Me and my kids really put thought into what we donate. As for your friend...I would never throw out food...not ever! If it is free, and I am taking it, who am I to bitch?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If she can afford to be fussy, she can afford to purchase her own food and not be using a food pantry. "nuff said.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 3:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Wow. I can understand being cautious about expired food, but just about name brands!? Wow.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If I was needing food so bad that I needed to go to a food shelter you can bet I'd take what they gave me. As it is I hardly ever buy name brand. There are some things that if I'm paying and I know the off brand isn't great and the price difference isn't crazy I'll buy name brand (and when I have coupons) but generally I'll go with what's cheapest. I certainly would find a use for what I was given at a food shetler!
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• that's sad
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• that is horrid.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No i have gone to food shelves used everything in the box!! I even used pea babyfood in a hotdish because I didn't want to waste what was given to me, ( I went to a food shelf were they have items all ready in a box, then they add milk, and other stuff as options they ask you if you need them or could used them) She is sounds like an ungratful bitch---foodshelf food or not, I have not thrown any food away of any kind/amount for at least 2 years.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• She is taking the food from others who need it. She is wrong and lacks good values. She should not take it if she does not plan to use it. Are her kids hungry? Someone needs to inform her that she is not behaving in a responsible mature fashion.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• wow that's horrible she shouldn't be taking it then if she's just going to throw it away she should at least give it to someone else if she doesn't want it.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• hell no...to the disdain of my hubby when I go food shopping I only buy the cheapest of what we need. For instance I bought store brand bread crumbs bc they were half the price of the Progresso ones that my hubby asked for...and I even found store brand fabric softener that did 117 loads for $3 where as the Downy that hubby usually gets only does 52 loads and cost $6.
    mamacifuni

Answer by mamacifuni at 1:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010