How can people be taught to take responsibility?

To take ownership of thier own lives? Here is the thing, if you need something, say medical care, it is your responsibility not the doctor or receptionist YOUR responsibility to present the insurance information to the clinic and see that it gets entered. IF you don't you can be held responsible for the whole cost of the visit.
Why can't people who have insurance take this one little step to see that the bills get paid properly?
The same goes for personal bills. I know people who can't pay thier bills. I don't understand why because they certainly can afford luxuries. When this same person complains to me, what should I say? Stop buying cable, internet, cigarettes, movies, sports for your kids and pay the electric? I do have compassion, really I do, but how long do I have to sit there and watch the same mistakes happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Money & Work

• You can't teach someone who isn't willing to learn. And even if they are I'm pretty sure they'd just be offended by you saying something. It seems F-ed up that you can't do or say anything without being looked at as the bad guy, but that's how it is. The only way that I get by without saying anything is by reminding myself that some people are just plain stupid and can't be helped, at least not by me.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 2:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• We are trying to teach ours kids now about money and responsibility. Me and hubby are learning on our own and it has been and uphill battle for the both of us. Hopefully our kids will know by the time their old enough to have to really do it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I feel your frustration. Before I stayed home with my kids, I worked in skip tracing and repossession for autos. You wouldn't believe how many people would be 3-4 months behind on their car that they NEEDED to get to work, but they would get outraged if I suggested they needed to have a light Christmas. We have actual stories of cars being picked up in mall parking lots loaded with stuff.. While this does not apply to everyone, because lots of people end up in a situation beyond their control.. I would say about 50% of people end up creating their own misery. They don't even see it. They put 2k worth of wheels on a car they can't make the payments?? They take a vacation and call in angry when their car is gone? It was really mind boggling. I personally wish high schools had courses focused on budget, money management, saving and living within your means.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Wow, you all gave great answers. I am having a hard time selecting the best. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2008