What's dump cake?

soccerfanatic14

Asked by soccerfanatic14 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• in general - sugar, flour, butter and some kind of canned fruit w/ syrup. You can use cake mix instead of the flour and sugar, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• According to WiseGeek:

Dump cake may not have the most flattering name but it is a dessert that many people rave about. The name cake is a little bit deceptive and some people prefer to call dump cake a version of cobbler instead. When people are not praising its delicious taste, they’re often celebrating how quick and easy this dessert is to make.

Dump cake is usually a combination of canned fruit, with cherries and pineapples being some of the most preferred. Fruit is usually drained and combined on the bottom of a baking dish. Next, people add yellow or white cake mix, simply pouring the mix right over the fruit. Recipes vary but most then direct people to add slices of butter on top of the cake mix. When the cake is baked it has a lovely top crust that is buttery over a layer of sweet fruit.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I thought it was pouring cake mix into a pan with canned fruit and baking
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't have the actual recipe in front of me. I have made it before but it's been quite awhile. It is a box of cake mix, melted butter and a can of fruit pie filling and nuts if you wish. It's basically all just dumped into a casserole dish in layers and baked without mixing. It almost makes a fruit crisp-crumble type dessert but way sweeter. Most people love it, but I find it too sweet.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010