do you use the base on your infant car seat?

I have an Evenflo seat. Its a royal pain in the butt to get it on and off the base in the car! You pretty much have to almost put the seat completly vertical to unhook the darn thing!

no i dont always use it. Its in one of two cars so when we take the other car i dont bother with it.

I also think i like having the baby seat actually straped to the car rather then the baby seat hooked to a plastic base thats attached to the car.

Yes i know iv asked alot of car seat questions but iv been panicing over it lately cause alot of ppl i know have been in recent accedents :(

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 1:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always use mine in my car and my mothers but my mother in law doesn't have one and it's pain to transfer so I don't use it in the MIL's car... but we RARELY ride with her.
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 1:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i never used the base for either of my kids, it didn't seem safe to me b/c what if you were in a wreck, it could just pop off the base, i just strapped mine in with the seatbelt , it was a little extra work but it was so worht it to keep my kids safe
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I do the same thing...we have the base (it's not as hard to get unattached) in the van that wa use to transport the kids usually and if we go in our other car or with someone else, we don't bother transfering the base.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I always used the base unless we were going in my mother's car or something. Then I wouldn't bother. But that was only a hand full of times. I thought the base was safer.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• OH MY GOD!!! ARE YOU PEOPLE Fing SERIOUS!!!!!!?? If you aren't going to use it the way the manufacture intended, you may as well not be using one at all!!! YES you use the base and ALL THE TIME! Not "just when you feel like it".
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The book that comes with the seat clearly gives instructions how to install the seat without the base. It wouldnt have this if it wasnt safe. Duh.
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• MythicMMM-They are usually designed to be used with or without the base, my graco was. This is accordingto the manufacters manual, no need to freak out
    terriv123

Answer by terriv123 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• What is the evenflo seat you have?

wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Actually, carseats CAN be used WITHOUT the base. They have instructions for both! READ MythicMMM. I have owned 3 different brands and ALL have come with instructions for use WITHOUT base. I have owned Graco, Evenflo and Britax.
    heather_kygirl

Answer by heather_kygirl at 1:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• "can" and "should" are two different words.

If they "can" be used SAFELY without a base... why provide it?
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010