Vacuum Sealer for Freezing?

Do any of you use a vacuum sealer for freezing meats? I've been using regular zip-loc freezer bags, and I'm still getting freezer burn. Are the sealers worth it?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 1:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I use mine every I go grocery shopping. I love it. Not one case of freezer burn since I started using it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have a Food Saver and I use it all the time. It's so worth it because you can buy in bulk and freeze a few chicken breasts, separate your ground beef, etc. You can even precut your beef cubs for stews or chicken for soup and stuff like that. I used it when my husband was deployed to send him baked goods. They remained fresh for him.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I also have a Food Saver... TOTALLY worth it.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 2:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have a Food Saver, too, and use it often. It's great for meats because no air = no freezer burn. It's also great for freezing bread & cookie doughs for later baking up fresh. I love it for the garden because I can pre-chop & freeze the harvest for later use in the winter months and it's wonderful for freezing homemade soups & sauces because the bags are not easily punctured and they don't leak.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with the others that use them! I LOVE mine!!! So worth it. I can get everything not only flattened in most cases, I put my hamburger in a quart size bag, flaten it (it hardly takes up any room) and it will defrost in a sink of water WITHIN 30 minutes! I LOVE MINE!!!!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 10:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We have a vacuum sealer and I totally love it. The food stays fresh a lot longer and you don't get all the ice crystals in it. We buy in bulk and then use the vacuum sealer. I would love to have one of the new ones that stand up and have bags you can re-use
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• No. Just WRAP food in aluminum FOIL. Then place in freezer bags. Remember to insert a piece of paper in the bag which tells you the date and what is inside the bag. Place items flat and stack for easy access in and out of the freezer
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have a food saver and I love it! I keep it out on the counter I use it so much.
    My latest discovery:
    I buy a lot of fresh herbs at once and chop them up and put them in ice cube trays, filling them 1/2 way, then I pour in boiling water to fill it up the rest of the way and pop them in the freezer. (1 herb per ice cube tray). Once frozen, I pop them out into a food saver bag, pop it in the food saver, slap a label on it and put it back in the freezer.
    Then say I'm making a spaghetti sauce, I just cut open the bags with basil, parsley and oregano and pop a cube of each into the sauce, seal the bags back up and throw the rest of them back in the freezer. It keeps my fresh herbs really fresh!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:32 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Ooh! Another thing I do is I prepare a ground beef mix that I can use as a starter for things like spaghetti sauce or tacos. I chop up onions, peppers and garlic and I saute the veggies and brown up the ground meat. Then I put 2 cups of the mix in the food saver bags, once they are vacuumed and sealed I label them and put them in the freezer. Then in the morning I take one out and put it in the fridge and by the time I get home it's defrosted so I put the mix in a pan, open a jar of sauce and boil up some pasta and voila! Dinner is served!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010