Do you think that this article is showing a shift to a new type of feminism?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1021293/How-mothers-fanatical-feminist-views-tore-apart-daughter-The-Color-Purple-author.html

*clickable article posted below*

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 1:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think this woman has a very conflicted relationship with her own mother. I don't identify the whole 'motherhood as forced servitude' mentality that her mother put forth as being 'feminism.' To me, feminism involves legal equality and the right to make choices (motherhood being one of them.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yeah, I do agree that she is obviously still very hurt about her relationship with her mom.
    I think what I got from this article is that the radical feminism that Alice Walker (and others like her) put forth is just as restricting as the mentality that women only belong in the home.
    True feminism should give women the right and the freedom to choose to work, to stay at home, or to do both without feeling guilty about her choice, whatever it may be... Honestly, I don't think that society is there yet if you consider the part about feelings of guilt.
    elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• IMO, most parent try to do the best job that they can, and as adults, it is our job to make the best of our lives without using our "upbringing" or parents as an excuse. You have to move past all the BS- times change, parenting models change, acceptable treatments change. Making excuses and being hung up on past injustices (real or perceived) is just a waste of the short time each of is granted. Alice is losing out on a wonderful relationship with her grandson-hope she doesn't regret it, when all is said and done.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Poor woman to have a mother so self absorbed and hateful had to be difficult. I do think many of the leaders of the Feminism movement were not out for women but for themselves. Do things their way or you were less than them as a woman. So sad.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The real issue between the Walker women has nothing to do with feminism. It has everything to do with the elder Ms. Walker never having grown up. She saw her own child as an inconvenience, and of course that's what she taught her daughter.

Rebecca didn't grow up in a truly feminist home... she grew up in the home of a woman who was still a child herself and unable to understand feminism.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010