What's the best sinus/allergy medicine 4 a 5 yr.old

his eyes get watery/itchie and he swells alittel cross his nose(just like me)I have a rough time getting him to take medicine or blowing his nose.we do have cats in the house too.

ms.mary

Asked by ms.mary at 1:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• we use kids claritin and it works great for all of our kids!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• zyrtec works good for my dd, if he is allergic to the cats, did you think of rehoming them if it really bothers your son....also i know it's hard to get kids to take meds but you may just have to squirt it in his mouth, my dd spit it out once but i got on her butt about it and she don't spit anymore
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Benadryl or sudafed** it works great for me and my my boys
    Nicole_06

Answer by Nicole_06 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i use on my kids clarion and benadryl. Nasal spray is good and lots of fluids.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree that claritin works pretty good, but if you have a hard time getting him to take medicines, try finding one that comes in a tongue strip. It sticks to their tongue and dissolves while it sits there. I think that either Tylenol or Triaminic make them.
    ThePieLady

Answer by ThePieLady at 1:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Sudafed
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• ty all,and yes unfortunitly I considered removing the cats.
    ms.mary

Comment by ms.mary (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Claritin and saline solution is very good for children.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Claritin didn't work for my son at that age. Zyrtec works better. The best thing to do is take him to an allergist, who will find the right combination of allergy meds. Likely, just one won't do it. My son is on 2 regular allergy meds, one in the morning, one at night, and has additional meds for when other allergy symptoms appear. Allergies are tricky.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010