My son is two months old and is drinking 4 oz at a time and still is hungry agfer he gets done. he has acid reflux and is on medicine for it. a docter told me not to give him more than 4oz and add a tbl spoon and half of rice ceral to his bottle to make it heavier o help his refusx and to keep him from being so hungry and wanting to eat so much but i feel bad that he is still hungry. any advice???

hunters_mom820

Asked by hunters_mom820 at 2:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, i was gonna suggest giving him more if he's hungry, but you're dr. said not to and then i was gonna suggest the rice cereal but you've already done that..this is a question no cafe mom can answer, only your dr. if you dont think your dr. is doing a good enough job, get a 2nd opinion..good luck w crying baby!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• MAybe just give him 5 ounces. I say if he's hungry don't listen to your doctor. You are a mom and you know when your sone is hungry...Feed him an extra ounce. Just take it slow and take a break during the feeding to let it settle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• He may not be hungry but uncomfortable and just wanting to suck give him the pacifier
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:06 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Dr may give you educated guesses but if you feel the baby is hungry i would give him more, or maybe cereal from a spoon
    dawninmanch

Answer by dawninmanch at 9:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i had the same problem with my daughter who is 2 1/2 now. It was a tough time. keep him head elevated either in a car seat or by putting blocks under her head of the crib. burp him offen. my daugther had projectile vomiting with her GERD. i feed her with ceral from a spoon. i did not use much rice cereal, i used oatmeal alot rice caused her to be constipated. I also bough Enfamil that is specially for GERD.

it takes a while but they grow out of it. i would feed him more than 4 oz. maybe 1/2 ox or more evey other week. i used to add 2 tablespoons of oatmeal by spoon. it makes him a little chunky buty they grow out of it. mine did.
    armysgtwife

Answer by armysgtwife at 10:18 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I SAY FEED HIM A LITTLE BIT MORE, THE DOCTORS DO NOT ALWAYS KNOW WHATS BEST FOR THE BABY, THEY MAY GIVE THE EDUCATED ANSWERS, BUT FROM US YOU ARE GETTING THE MOMMY BEEN THERE DONE THAT ANSWERS. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR BUNDLE OF JOY.
    JBIRDSLADIE

Answer by JBIRDSLADIE at 10:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• oh and i forgot the pacifer idea is a great idea, it keeps down the acid reflux which is probable making cranky.

p.s. sorry about the spelling, not a good typing day!
    armysgtwife

Answer by armysgtwife at 10:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• feeding him an ounce or two more will not hurt him..but him not getting enough..is more damaging just try to give him a bit after the four that way it settles..but all babies take different amounts i'm shocked he said no more I understand because of the reflux but if he is hungry he needs to eat
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Count how many ounces he is intaking in a typical day- call your doctor with that number and ask if you can increase it by adding one more 4 oz bottle a day. It is very important to follow your doctors instructions when you are dealing with a reflux baby. It is helpful to give smaller botles more often- rather then larger bottles less often. And Yes, it helps to give the baby a pacifier after meals to help keep the food down. Also keep the baby upright after each meal for 20-30 minutes and make sure you burp well by gently rubbing the back- Do not pat that just aggravates it. best of luck : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 10:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Hi There! I saw your post while browsing CafeMom. Our oldest son, now 37 y/o, had this hunger problem too only without the GERDS. My doctor said to try the 8 oz of formula but he was still hungry. So the doctor said to try 8 oz of Homoginized milk with the 1 and 1/2 T of rice baby cereal in it at night. I gave him this bottle at 10 PM and he was fine and started sleeping through the night at a very early age. He started sleeping through the night at least closer to morning. He did not become fat etiher. He was eating soft baby food by 6 months and eating soft "regular table food" shortly after 9 months. He was off the bottle around 12 mo. However, not all children are the same or will react the same way. If his symptoms do not change and you feel something is wrong, a second opinion doesn't hurt. Good luck! Mother's instinct is given for a reason. Enjoy your baby boy!
    ladyofleisure

Answer by ladyofleisure at 10:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2008