What is a good sewing machine that doesn't cost a lot of money?

And where can I get it??

dragonlady320

Asked by dragonlady320 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I found a singer at Target for $90 and it works just fine for a beginner like me
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• 5 years ago, I bought a fantastic used machine. I paid $15 for it at a yard sale, with the case that it goes in. At another yard sale, I bought a nice cabinet with drawers in it for $15.

The main thing is, make sure you plug it in and try it before you leave. Make sure all the parts, like the bobbin case and foot is with it. Craigslist, auctions, and stores like Goodwill are great to check also. There's not a lot that can go wrong with a simple machine, although the embroidery machines and stuff have more components.
    sizesmith

Answer by sizesmith at 2:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would try local secondhand, resale, Goodwill and other thrift stores to find a first sewing machine without a ton of frills that you won't be using initially. You can get a decent machine for pennies on the dollar this way; just be sure to make sure it works before you leave the store. Then, once you get comfortable with the "no frills" machine, you'll have a really good idea of what you would like in a new machine and may be able to spend a little more money at that point, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• bumpI'm bumpin ya!!!

bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 2:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'm going to pm you a copy of the hand out I give my sewing students when they are looking for a machine......and right now, you can find really good deals. I actually 7 machines for teaching at Big Lots. They were White brand, which is an old brand like singer.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010