How did you deal with the very first day of preschool?

My 3 year old starts next week, I think I might cry like a little baby!

RodeoGirlUSA1

Asked by RodeoGirlUSA1 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I was just fine. My daycare lady runs a preschool program in her home so it was like any other day for us! Kindergarten was hard, esp since I could not be there to see him get on the bus for the first time - he goes directly from daycare.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I was so scared, he is my baby and he was leaving me. But i saw that he was happy and ready to go and I had to suck it up. But I was there early and happy to get my boy. It was a little harder when both of my sons went to preschool though. I just about lost it. My youngest was only 2 and we were always together so that was hard.
    Keyonsmom

Answer by Keyonsmom at 2:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I was nervous and I teared up a little bit but she was so excited that I couldn't be that sad. It stinks but they need it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Our preschool gave the families white bags tied with red yarn and decorated with hearts. It said hugs and kisses for ______'s family.
    Inside was a package of tissues and candy hugs and kisses. So sweet.
    When she came out she came running with this paper strip decorated with hearts and wrapped it around me and squeezed real hard. It had a rhyme on it that said something about her knowing how much I missed her and that was why she had this great big hug for me to use whenever I missed her.
    How sweet. It is teaching her empathy for the feelings of others.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• When my youngest started at 3 1/2 I just walked her over, showed her where to sit and said, "bye" and that was it. No crying on anyone's part. It was only for 2 hours twice a week. She loved school and is sad she can't go this year (she's 4 now).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Our school had us make him a going to preschool box with pics, toys,etc to keep at school. That way if he was upset he could look at that for comfort. I was fine. I knew this was the best thing for my son and he was ready.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• my daughter didnt cry, but i see kids cry every morning. id just start explaining to them whats going on to get them prepared.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I drove him to school and he got out of the car in the drop off line. I said good bye and have a good day. Went home, out to lunch, cleaned the house and did not shed a tear. I am happy we can send our child to school. I am greatful he has good teachers and friends. So many live in countries war torn and tattered that school is not an option. So school is a hood thing. Realistically not a thing to get upset about. I'll save my tears for bigger issues.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I will be a blubbering baby.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I was pretty much okay....it's just a tiny step above daycare. It's going to be kindergarten that kills me o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:03 AM on Sep. 11, 2010