• In the Spotlight:

Halloween Party

My dd was invited to Halloween party. She is grounded for mucho backtalk. The party is on Friday night. It's also an overnight and we haven't met the parents. Just got the invitation Tues. That's late. Should we let her go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Not if she's grounded....why go back on a punishment you've already assigned.... If she's off punishment by then anyway, then I would say meet the parents first....find out if it's going to be boy/girl overnight...whether there will be adequate supervision...alcohol (you'd be suprised how many people feel that it's ok for a teenager to drink as long as they aren't going out anywhere)....etc.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• no do not let her go now she will think before she doesit again.
    madcat500

Answer by madcat500 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• no, if she's grounded she's grounded! One thing I remember is getting in trouble in high school and all of us were grounded and I was the only one of my 6 friends who's parent's stuck to the grounding. While I did continue to do some more bad things with my friends I had huge convictions about it and eventually stopped hanging out with them as our values changed. I am still in contact with these friends but even now as adults we are very different.
    I can honestly say that I learn't from and now appreciate that my parents stuck to their punishments.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• you could give her a little break from being grounded. then again, I'm 19 so I can relate more to her. If you were my mother, and didn't let me go (if the party meant a lot to me) then I would definitely be really upset with you. I think it depends on what's more important to you, your daughter suffering from the back talk(depending on how bad it was) or if she can go out to this party and have fun for one night and then maybe she'll clean up her act cause she'll see what she misses out on while grounded if you let her go. Just an opinion from another teenager. How old is she anyways, do you really need to meet the parents ?!! I understand if she's like 13/14/15.
    Anonymous

• Any chance that its a "fake" invitation so she could go out that night? You never met the parents and she just got the invitation on Tuesday? Hmmm
    BlessedInNJ

Answer by BlessedInNJ at 7:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2008