What does EBF mean to you?

At what month in your opinion does it go into "extended"? I figured it meant past a year.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is either past 2 years nursing.

Only nursing and no other food/milk

Either of those to me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i think over 2 years, just because the WHO recommends breastfeeding for 2 years. Though I will probably only do it for 12-18 months myself.
    RodeoGirlUSA1

Answer by RodeoGirlUSA1 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• yeah i guess that would mean past a year... but I've heard some people refer to BF past 6mo as "extended" since 6mo is what is recommended by the pediatrics board... I'm blanking on the right acronym right now haha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Extended breastfeeding is past one year.

Exclusive breastfeeding is only breastmilk. Some are more rigid and define it as only from the breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I guess its pretty subjective of a term huh?

Oh, and I never knew that the WHO recommends 2 years... that's really interesting!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think a mix up often occurs because it is used to refer to extended OR exclusively breast feeding. A baby 12 months or younger can be EBF - exclusively, meaning no solids, only breastmilk. I suppose you could say EBF, extended, for a child over one year, but I would consider it more accurate for a child over age 2.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I define EBF as exclusive breast feeding (under 12 mos) to be nursing from breast only. No solids, no bottles, no cups, etc.

I define EBF as extended breast feeding (12 + mos) to be nursing from breast until mom and child decide to stop.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Oh I thought it was exclusive breast feeding at first when I saw that, because that's what I think of when I see EBF. Anyway, extended breast feeding to me means over 12 months, for most people. For me, I would have defined it was over 18 months if I had been able to BF that long.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• ebf stands for exclusevely not extended.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• its both piwife

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010