If my son is around another kid who lies all the time, will he start lying?

I babysit my nephew in the morning b4 school. He LIES ABOUT EVERYTHING! Things that are meaningless! I'm afraid my 5 year old will pick up the habit, because we seem to be talking about it every morning, when I keep explaining that lying is bad and that if he would have told the truth, there would have been no trouble...etc. I repeatedly keep talking about the lies. I feel like if we talk about it all the time, he'll think it's normal. I've talked to my son about the lying, but I'm so afraid it will rub off on him. I don't want to talk to my nephew's dad for fear he'll get in a bunch of trouble (he's abusive), and it really won't make a difference in the lying. I'm sick of constantly trying to explain to him the greatness of truth and the horrible consequences of lying. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No he won't follow in the nephews lying footsteps. You are handling it well. Explaining it to your son is the right thing to do. This is a great opportunity for teaching your son that there are ppl in life that lie. That doesnt' make it right but it happens. There are consequences to lyng. Praise your son for telling you the truth when he has an option of lying. Most liars want attention. If you praise good behavior then he won't feel compeled to lie to get attention. My heart goes out to your nephew. Keep working with him and you can get him to stop unless some emotional damage has been done to where he already has a disorder that makes him lie. Being abused and not nurtured as a little one can cause things like Executive Disfunction Disorder and some forms of sociopathy. Neither one is good but if you can recognize his tendency to lie then you can work around it. You are doing a great job by caring for both little boys.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Well, for your nephew, I'd say if his dad is abusive, that's probably a big part of why he's lying. He is afraid to get in trouble with dad, so he lies to try to avoid it. I can't say I blame him, even though lying is wrong. As for your son...it's iffy. Some kids will pick up on the habit if exposed to it. However, you're telling your nephew (and therefore your son since he hears you) how wrong it is, and how you don't like it, and by doing so, you're making it clear that you won't tolerate it.
    I know you're sick of constantly talking about it, but I think it may be all you can do. Unless you're willing to contact authorities about the child abuse (you don't say what kind it is, so I don't know if it would be appropriate - no child abuse is acceptable, but without specifics, I don't want to judge), nothing will change unless the boy and/or his father decide on their own to change things.
    Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:14 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• You better believe it.

Children pick up on things even at a young age. And also they may not show signs of it now but they will start if they dont see discipline or the other child be corrected.

I think that every child shoul dbe around or associate with other that have the same values as you do. So the instilling them is easier.
    OctoberOrganics

Answer by OctoberOrganics at 9:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It depends. It could rub off on him, but I feel that as long as you are open with your son, and explain to him why lying is wrong and the repercussions, that you won't have anything to worry about.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2008