Flipping out after nap?

Everyday when my 2 year old wakes up he starts screaming and kind of thrashing. And if I hold him it gets worse. So I just let him lay on the floor crying till he stops. But I don't like that! What should I do? Does anyone else have this issue?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 2:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son used to do this and it seemed like it was until he was fully awake. His doctor said he was having night terrors (or something like that). There was some kind of medical mumbo jumbo she added in there but he did out grow it by the time he was like five. Maybe you could talk to your son's doctor and she what he/she has to say about it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• is it only after naps? how many times has it happened? Is he fully awake? How does he sleep at night? my son has had these type of episodes although only in the middle of the night - they weer NOT night terrors and he was screaming for me to help him the whole time and like you, holding him only make it worse.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes it's only have nap. And he has happened almost everyday in the last week and a half. I'm not sure if he's fully awake but it doesn't seem like it.
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Have you looked into Terrors at all? I Am sure if they can happen at night, the could happen during naps..I tend to think my son's pains were growing pains - that could be just to ease my mind because it looked like he was possessed.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My daughter wakes up cranky from a nap until she either gets a bottle or some food.
    When my son wakes up cranky he wants his sippy cup.
    That's solved all of their after nap tantrums.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010