Does anyone work as a waitress at a chain restaurant?

I have waitressed for 13 years and i love it but the place i work at now is struggling. I would like to try someplace a little more stable but i'm afraid to work for a corporate place. Are they usually flexible with schedules, since i could only work part time and have a son. nAny advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• i used to and i hated it. they kept ppromising me bartending shifts and then they hired a bartender and told me there weren't any hours. i ended up working in retail and i love it. it was a big jump though, to get used to not leaving with cash every night but with the economy i'm making about the same as i was serving.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 2:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My sister does. She works for Outback and she had her child about 1 1/2 years ago. They have been very flexible with her schedule, but she has worked there for nearly 4 years now. A lot of times, if she is scheduled to work and she needs off, all she has to do is find a replacement that wants to work and okay it with the manager.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I worked for both small, mom-and-pop restaurants and chain restaurants in the past. I find what it ultimately boils down to is the management who is running that particular restaurant. The chains of course have corporate rules, but if it's running under competent and caring management, it can be a lot better than a shoddily run small restaurant, and vice versa. You can always submit applications and interview with the managers (if you get called) and ask about those types of things at the interview. If you don't like what you hear, you don't have to take the job.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• you get bigger tips at the corporate places...I know several young adults who love waitressing at the bigger name places because they make big money in tips on the weekends
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010