Letting her get a few steaks of color in her hair?

My DD (almost 11) wants to get some highlights in her hair, she was even talking about pink or blue. I told her that she had to wait until she was 16. My DH thinks that a little younger, maybe 13 would be ok. She's a responsible kid, great in school and at home - but IDK about 13. She wears a uniform to school, so her argument is that her shoes and her hair are the only things she can "individualize" herself with.

Thoughts?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 2:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Get the clip ins! Hot Topic has them, they're pretty cheap and actually look cute. I wore them to a theme party not to long ago and thought they were so fun. Since it's not permanent, I think it's a good compromise and an age appropriate way to show off her individuality.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 2:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Too young. Maybe at 13-14. As for how to "individualize'? You do that with brains, with grades, with behavior, with attitude, with self-presentation, with choices, with many many things that have absolutely nothing to do with appearance.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 2:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree, too young. My daughter is 11. If she decides that she'd like something like this, she may - in high school.

Why allow children to do all these things when they are still children? What changes does growing up really bring then? What honors, privileges, milestones are left if they've already experienced everything before high school? Where is the excitement? What are the things left to look forward to?

So she wants it. So what? It's unreasonable to raise children to believe that they can simply have whatever they want without "earning" it or without patience.

And yes, there are many positive ways to be an "individual" ... this isn't one of them.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My Libby is 10 - and there is no way I'd consider this any time soon. She is too young. And I too feel no need to rush her childhood away.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 3:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• tough one. At her age now, she is definitely too young in my opinion. At 13? I really am on the fence. She makes a valid point about the uniform. Although if she has to wear a uniform you may want to check the schools policy. Most wont allow "unnnatural colors" in students hair. I guess at that age I was allowed to make my own decisions regarding my appearance and while I look back now wondering what the heck I was thinking, I applaud my parents for giving me the freedom. The more I think about it, 13 is ok as a minimum.

jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I say let her. Its not like she's dyeing her whole head.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't really think it is a big deal at 13....I mean, it is just hair, and the color will come out eventually. My hair has been practically every color of the rainbow, plus some! lol. I think I started around 13 also...and my hair is just fine (if you are worried about the health of her hair in the long run)
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Eleven seems a bit young. I'd say maybe 14.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I say its just hair and it will grow out. I would let her do it. It isn't a big deal at 13. That's when I started dying my hair. And I picked out burgundy for my first hair color and that was my entire head lol. I will never do that color again.
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• LOL...a lot of you would have died with what I did then. My son got blonde tips in his hair in 2nd grade.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2010