Fighting sleep

From day one DD has fought sleep like crazy. It's a battle every night to get her to sleep. Now that she is almost 9 months old, it has also turned into a horrific battle to get her to take a nap!!! I wait to put her to sleep until she just can't keep her little head up and her eyes open anymore. *yae I know I shouldn't be putting her to sleep, but if we try the whole putting her in her crib and letting her fall asleep she will scream for HOURS AND HOURS... even if I'm sitting next to the crib with her. Just does not work for her!*. I'm out of ideas... Soft Music, lights out, feeding, rocking, cuddling... None of it works. She gets the point where she is *almost* asleep then she starts SCREAMING bloody murder. Tears and all. I just don't know what else to try! I hate that it takes an hour just to get her to take a 30 min nap!!

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she might be teething, I would try some baby tylenol. But, when my DD wasn't sleeping, I added some padding to her crib and added some extra blankets (for some reason she was cuddle crazy), and fed her oatmeal at night. That seemed to help. Also, a routine helps, like a warm bath, infant massage, and reading or cuddling.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 2:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Also try on demand sleep, she may not be sleepy, allow her to figure out when she is tired.
    gnovinger

• Thank you! I do wait until she gives me her clues that she is sleepy, jabbering alot, pulling her ears, wanting to cuddle *she is NOT a cuddly baby at all! if she is not tired she will not be held down for anything! lol* I did put a huge stuffed dog in her crib and that helps her stay asleep once I get her in there, but it doesn't do much for falling asleep.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would try a bedtime routine. Try giving her a warm bath and some infant massage. She might go for that.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 2:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Please, don't let your baby cry herself to sleep to the point that she is screaming and cry (tears and all) As you said. I don't have a wonderful answer for you. My first thought is to read to her. Never raising your voice. It your voice soft, ( I know it's hard, walk out of the room if you start to get up set) and emphasize on some words to make it sound like something is going on.

Sorry I couldn't do better, good luck and hang in there.
    MomlovesRed

Answer by MomlovesRed at 2:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• try just letting her cry it out. It wont hurt her if she just cries. and you can step outside and read for a little bit. baby tylenol works better if you just rub it on her gums. or if the tylenol doesnt work i use hyland homeopathic teething tablets (works like a charm!) give her three under the tongue and it helps ease the pain so she can go to sleep. if you try giving her a warm bath before bedtime make sure you use lavendar or oatmeal. (naturally calms baby down) but all in all your baby knows that all she has to do is cry and she gets what she wants so you need to show her that if nothing is wrong with her come bed time or nap time then she can just cry to sleep. i had to do it and now my daughter just lays in bed until she falls asleep.
    bradymoma86

Answer by bradymoma86 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It might sound cruel, but let her cry it out. She might be to the point that she's so tired she's got herself all riled up and upset.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Nothing wrong with putting her to sleep. My first was a sleep fighter and I had to nurse, rock and sing at the same time to convince him to sleep. He got better around 2-3 and is a great sleeper now at 4. Just have to keep at it... do whatever works for the time being. Have you tried wearing her down? It was frustrating more than once... I wanted to just knock him over the head, but it passes.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010