How do I get my 4 year old to want to do more than one workbook page at a time?

I have been working with him to make sure he is ready for kindergarten next year. They have really high expectations for these kids now and I'm just worried he isn't going to have all the skills he needs. HI can barely get him to finish one worksheet. How do I motivate him?

InHisBlood

Asked by InHisBlood at 2:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First off, remember that they have very little attention spans...so make it a game and mix it up.... I used to get my son to do about 4 worksheets, flash cards and storytime in the mornings everyday. I would alternate a writing one with a coloring one then a matching one...etc... I also didn't make him do everything on the page... We started out small and worked our way up to completing the whole thing. I would pick one thing on the worksheet that I wanted done.... Instead of tracing all ten A's I had him do 3 upper and 3 lowercase... I would ask him to color the biggest bunny brown, but we would make the smallest white...no coloring... Sometimes we would take a whole week to do a worksheet...we broke it down by day. He's in K now and they have yet to bring more than one home that is remotely close to completion. K is only 2.5 hours...they have Music (M), Gym (W), Art (F) and 40 kids in the classroom...not alot done!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• At 4 doing one workbook page at a time is plenty. After he's completed one do something else for a while and maybe try again later. Try teaching things in other ways such as through playing games. You want learning to be fun and not a chore. If you put too much pressure on him to do worksheets he may develop a really bad attitude about school before he even starts.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He's 4. Why does he need to do more than one workbook page at a time? If he does one workbook page every day, he's doing just fine.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Just do 1 page at a time. Its like your trin to make him grow up when he only 4. let him be 4 now 15
    sguy1983

Answer by sguy1983 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Teacher here : He is 4, one worksheet is very good for him to do! Remember, learning the skills he needs can be done in MANY MANY different ways! Try some more active ways to teach the skills!

Also, he is not the only child who doesn't want to sit and work :) I promise he will be fine :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Don't push him. You will turn him off school completely.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Try the reward system,tell him you'll make his favorite thing for lunch or dinner like mac and cheese. Or tell him he can watch his favorite show,or a trip to the neighborhood park or a walk.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Since the school has high expectations,I would definitely do the reward system.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• not 15
    sguy1983

• he's 4. They have like a 5 minute attention span. Even in school they do other things then just worksheets.

Try some ACTIVE activities between papers.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010