• In the Spotlight:

I need sleep!!!!

My daughter is almost 5 months old and up until a week ago she was sleeping through the night. She is even waking up every two hours now to breastfeed. She didn't even do that as a newborn. Any advice would be appreciated.

lexysmomma08

Asked by lexysmomma08 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This could be many things, I didn't BF so I am not sure on the feeding at night. Both my daughters started sleeping through the night around 2 months. She could be teething, and at 5 months I would try to give her tylenol before bedtime and see if that helps. Or she could have her nights and days mixed up, my 8 month old did that a lot around 4-5 months. If I had to guess though I would say teething since she has already mastered sleeping through the night and then all of a sudden stopped.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 9:05 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• give her some cereal before bed.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:05 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I agree with the cereal suggestion, it's amazing what a little solid food will do... As far as an explanation goes, she's probably hitting a growth spurt.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Sounds like a growth spurt- just feed her on demand- it will pass soon!
    Don't introduce cereal or foods without talking to your ped.- most peds suggest waiting until a baby is 6 months before introducing solids.
    I took my babies into bed with me when they went through night nursing phases- it helped us both get a little more sleep.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 10:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My son did this when he started teething. I also started putting a little oatmeal in his bottle (I only breastfed the first two weeks) and it helped. Call your doctor to make sure that is what your baby needs!
    TexasMoM916

Answer by TexasMoM916 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• She is likely having a growth spurt or teething. My daughter is 6 months and just like her older brother started waking in the night to feed.
    Not sure if you are breastfeeding or if you are comfortable with cosleeping. But when my daughter wakes up I bring her to bed with me, make my breast acessible to her and I go back to sleep. She eats and goes back to sleep. I really couldn't tell you though if she snacks anymore while I've gone back asleep! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• She is probably growing or teething. Just go with it and try to sleep during the day when she naps. She will get back to sleeping through the night. If she is completely BF and not on solids you don't have to start giving her solids. BF babies don't really need solids til they are around a year. Your local supermarket should have Hylands teething tablets if that is what the problem is. They are all natural and help to settle your baby so they can sleep.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 2:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Check out the magic sleepsuit at www.magicsleepsuit.com. Its a new product designed by a mom and pediatric physical therapist that helps babies sleep better and longer.
    Anonymous